8 Maxed out

Image: Max Roberts, cool and suave.

Mood: swipe left and tap the media box above to listen to The Walk by Mayer Hawthorne. It sums up how Jake feels about Lydia at this point.

 It sums up how Jake feels about Lydia at this point

Lydia

Thursday, 1 p.m.

"Jake, it's just a football game," I said to him. He had a foul look on his face as if he had eaten something rotten.

"Hmm, yeah." Jake turned away from me.

"How are things with you and Elsie?" I asked.

"Never better. She's amazing, you know?" Jake's voice dripped with sarcasm.

"Jake, please give Max a chance!" I begged, hoping for some kind of personal reconciliation between us.

"He's a player, Missy. What more do you want me to say?" He turned toward me again, revealing pain in his eyes.

"He seems so... mature. So nice! Besides, I need to forget Devon. Completely."

"Go ahead and screw Max Roberts. What do I care?" Jake shouted.

"Jake! It's not as if you and Reggie aren't messing around. I know about you two." Reggie told Carrie and me that she and Jake were friends with benefits. That they made out. I was shocked, to be honest. Jake wasn't always Mr. Nice, after all.

Jake's eyes widened. "Who told you that?"

"Regina herself," I said. Regina was Reggie's real name.

"Aww, shit, Missy. You know that's just for fun." Jake rubbed his neck with uneasiness. His eyes shifted from left to right.

"You mean she's prepping you up for Elsie," I replied. I sighed and walked away.

"Hey, don't walk away from me!"

I kept walking. Now, I had another issue to fry-how to go on this date with Max without getting grilled by my parents.

3:15 p.m.

I stood in the parking lot, calling Jake on my cell phone. The school bell signaling the end of the day rang fifteen minutes ago.

"Hello?" It was good to hear his voice.

"Jake, I'm really sorry. I need your help."

"What's up?" Jake's voice was cold.

"I'm in the parking lot. Can you meet me there?" I asked.

"Sure. I'll be there in five."

Five minutes later, I explained to Jake my situation, but Reggie was with him. His hair was a ruffled mess, and her makeup was gone. If I had known better, it looked as if they had just made out.

Carrie was there too; she came after I called her, saying it was an emergency.

"Lydia, just tell you folks that you're at my place. I'll vouch for that," Reggie said. Ever since Max came into the scene this week, Reggie was noticeably nicer to me. Almost like old times. As if the competition for Jake was last season, long gone. Water under the bridge.