9 Closet friends

Mood: swipe left and tap the media box above to listen to Feels by Calvin Harris, featuring Pharrell Williams and Katy Perry.

Lydia

After Reggie had her meltdown, she mellowed a little, but I kept my feelings hidden from her. Why? I couldn't trust her.

She shouted rude, crass comments to people, criticized their appearance and pointed out their flaws. Reggie became a bully, and I hated bullies. I was bullied in my early years of high school, and those scars burnt like the flames of hell licking my wounded soul. My confidence was shattered because of the bullying, and I was still picking up the pieces.

Reggie was savage with Elsie. They often fought, and the underlying reason was the battle for Jake. He became hot property. Girls sat with me during lunch, in class, and on school trips. They were inquisitive, asking me a myriad of questions about Jake. Their motives were transparent-they tried to use me as the golden ticket to get to him.

Jake was also one reason why Max and I didn't work out.

While I was at the game with Max, other students from school turned up, including Crystal Gonzales, Max's ex-girlfriend, who was in my grade. When I texted Jake, his response was: Max doesn't deserve you. It'll be mayhem if you choose him. Trust me.

Jake was my good conscience. My Jiminy Cricket. When Max dropped me home, he wanted to kiss me in the car. I pulled back and thanked him for taking me to the game. I was already falling for him, but he wasn't right for me. I pulled out and cut my strings before they got tangled.

On top of this, my junior year prom was coming up. It was an over-publicized event that dominated our social media feeds, to the point where I was starting to get over the hype. I wanted to go with someone I trusted.

That person was Jacob Somersby.

---

Jake

I lied. Sure, Elsie is hot, but I'm in love with Lydia.

I lied to protect Lydia after the mess I got into with Reggie. It started as a silly game at a party. Seven minutes in heaven, alone in a room. Then it escalated from there. I was lonely. Reggie was lonely. Lydia was on again, off again with Devon Declan. Get my drift?

I noticed Reggie started digging into Lydia. Then at Carrie too. I had to intervene by lying.

"So, I've been barking at the wrong dog," Reggie said. "I thought Lydia was the love of your life. I hate Elsie." She tried to play with my hair, but I flicked her hand away from me and backed off.

I was tired of Reggie. It was fun smoking a bit of weed with her, but the fun ended when she became a monster who believed everyone was out to get her.

"I hate school," she declared.

"Good for you." I got up and put my shirt back on.

"Where are you going? Let's have a little fun," Reggie winked.