5 My flavor

Mood: swipe left and tap the media box above to listen to Ice Cream by Mika.

Lydia

A week later, Jake helped me study for a math exam at my place. Mom came home from work early and dumped her keys on the table. She opened the fridge and took out two apples.

"Hey, Mom!" I chirped.

"Lydia. Jake, how is your mother?" Mom looked over to Jake.

"She's busy, as usual. She says hi." Jake took a bite of an apple. He continued chomping on it, while Mom and I had a chat.

"Jake's here to help me pass my math test. I seriously don't want to fail," I said to Mom, as she nodded to Jake. Math was never my strongest subject and I needed all the help I could get.

"Missy, I'll get started. I'll see you up in your room," Jake headed upstairs to my room.

Mom looked at me and sighed. Then she raised an eyebrow.

"Have you two...?"

"Mom, no! We're just friends. Besides, he's a nice Christian boy. He goes to church and all..."

"The color of his eyes. They remind me of Elizabeth Taylor's eyes," she continued.

"Who?" I was curious.

"Oh, she was a Hollywood actress, long before your time. They said she had violet eyes, because they were a unique shade deep blue that gave the illusion of being violet."

"Yep, that sounds like Jake's eyes to a tee," I replied.

"You know, I always thought you would be better off with Jake. Devon only thinks for himself," my mom commented.

"Not happening," I rolled my eyes.

"Devon's the tough guy now, but wait for another couple years," Mom said.

"Jake's boyish charm and his dimpled smile. He's bound to break a few hearts one day. You'll see."

Mom's words were prophetic. Years later, it was Jake breaking hearts. He wasn't a bad person. He said to me later in life that he needed to go through the wilderness to find his oasis.

---

Over time, Jake and I grew closer as friends, while Devon spent weekends at parties. My folks were strict, so I stayed home. Jake would keep me company some weekends.

He and Carrie went on one date early on, but that didn't work out-they were destined for friendship and nothing more. Carrie said there was no spark, hinting that Jake's conversation gravitated to one topic: his friendship with me.

She had no hard feelings because her latest and greatest crush was a blond Viking named Johan Lunde.

On the weekend my cat, Pumpkin, died, Jake came over. I was a grieving banshee who was distraught in mourning, so Mom called Jake over-he was the one friend who lived within walking distance who could console me. He came right away and stayed the night. Mom was going out that evening, and Dad was visiting his brother.