21 Told you so

Mood: swipe left and tap the media box above to listen to You Don't Own Me covered by Madison Beer.

Lydia

Marc and I flew to my hometown a few days after Christmas to visit my mom and dad. Dad was his usual polite and jovial self, but Mom was indifferent to Marc.

When we went to eat out at a family restaurant, Mom whispered to me, "I don't like the way he looks at other girls. He can't get his eyes off the waitress."

The waitress assigned to our table was attractive, with a shapely figure that was an easy distraction for guys, including Marc. Every time she smiled at Marc, her eyes flirted with his.

"Mom, shhh, Marc might hear you," I whispered back.

"Let him hear me. He's got wandering eyes," she hissed loudly.

I stared at her. She stared at me. Her lips were pursed, and her tiger eyes were ready to attack.

"Lydia, Jake and his family were at the Christmas church service," Mom said loudly.

"Oh yeah?" I asked.

"His mom and dad passed on their regards to you," she said. She glared at me.

"Oh, tell them I said hi, too," I replied.

"You can tell them yourself. Jake said you would be visiting him sometime during the holidays," Mom quickly responded.

Marc's eyes were now focused on me, and he looked uncomfortable.

"This is your friend Jake from school, right, Lyds?" Marc tried to join in the conversation.

"Yes, he's like a brother to me," I said. I glanced at Dad for help, but he was busy eating his meal, avoiding eye contact with Mom and me.

"Oh, he was nothing like a brother to Lydia," Mom said. "The way he talked about you when we saw him last, you would think he was in love with you, Lydia."

"Mom, Jake, and I are just friends. You completely misunderstand the situation. Besides, he's a player. He's sleeping around in college, and he's with a different girl every week. They call him 'Heartbreaker.' Did you know that?" I returned Mom's tiger stare with my glare.

"Lyds, I thought you said there was nothing between you and pretty boy," Marc said.

Marc had been calling Jake pretty boy after seeing the Christmas photo and an old framed photo on my desk of Jake and myself. Mom purposely took that photo from my drawer and placed it on my desk for Marc's arrival. Sneaky Mom.

"May, can you leave Lydia alone?" Dad asked weakly.

"Ben, you said-"

"Forget about what I said. She's here with her guest, a handsome, young fella. Say, what was the name of your football team, son?"