19 Friends again

Jake's back! Is he in Lydia's good books now?

Mood: swipe left and tap the media box above to listen to I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz. It's one of the songs from Jake to Lydia.

 It's one of the songs from Jake to Lydia

Lydia

I stared into the mirror and wondered what the heck I was doing. I wore a strapless, light-pink dress and had my hair down.

Jake and I were meeting.

I bit the bullet, listened to my conscience, and messaged Jake, apologizing for not returning his calls and messages. I said I needed time and now really wanted to meet with him. At first, we agreed to meet last week. He pulled out, so I tried reaching out again. If that failed, then I would know that our friendship was truly over.

I hadn't seen him for months, except for the meet-up with the old gang during the summer, where I refused to acknowledge him. I left early as I was feeling sick being there in his presence at the time. Sick with pain. Sick with sorrow.

Now, I was ready to forgive and move beyond. With or without Jake.

A few days later, Jake responded. Meet me at the main library at 1pm on Saturday, he wrote.

Sure thing, will do! I wrote back.

I worked at the library part-time now. I started the job a few weeks ago. Marc and I were seeing less of each other lately. I needed to scale back from the parties and focus on exams, assignments, and earn money to keep living. I didn't have the luxury of accessing financial pockets (i.e., parents with money) like Marc, Johan, Carrie, or Jake.

Unfortunately, this reprioritization took its toll on my relationship with Marc. There were rumors of him flirting with girls and kissing them at parties. He denied everything, but he wasn't entirely honest with me. Carrie caught him feeling a girl's leg while they were flirting. Being a loyal friend, she warned him to keep his hands to himself and kept me up to speed on what she had witnessed. Sadly, there was a shit storm of a fight around that incident.

Marc then told me he needed some space because he felt I was too possessive and overprotective. My heart dropped like a lead weight plummeting and plunging to the pit of my stomach, where it sat like heavy indigestion. He contacted me a few days later and took me for ice cream at our favorite ice cream franchise shop, Cook's Ice Queen. However, I wasn't hungry. I lost my appetite and struggled to eat again.

I managed to find time to see my psychologist, Dr. Sykes, again that week. We made appointments by Skype, now that I was in college and away from home. I needed to talk about my challenges.

Someone had to pay for the appointment. My private health insurance didn't cover the entire cost, and I was a poor college student. Hence, another reason for having a part-time job.

Fast-forward to Saturday 12:30 p.m.

I was ready to face my fear and anxiety. I was prepared to see my friend Jake again. I kept checking my phone to see if there were any missed calls or messages, in case Jake would pull out.