22 Showdown

Mood: swipe left and tap the media box above to listen to Respect by the queen of soul, Aretha Franklin. Nobody deserves to be disrespected. This is Lydia's🖕song to Marc.

Get your popcorn, turn up the volume, and enjoy the show! 🍿😉

Lydia

The following day was one of the most eventful moments in my life. It was the day Jake and Marc met. They were like two rabid dogs ready to attack each other to death. I had never, ever in my life seen that side of Jake before.

The only other time I had seen him so raw was when he and I ran into Devon years later.

---

I woke up early because I set the alarm on my phone to make sure I got up in time to drive home and return Mom's car so she could drive to work.

I looked up to see Jake, bare-chested, and in his boxers. This is what it must be like for the countless women who have woken up by his side. I didn't want to be just another number. I was more than that. I meant more to him.

Reality hit me like a splash of cold water to the face. I had a mess to clean up, and that mess was my broken relationship with Marc Solomon. I thought I loved him, but after what happened, I was so confused.

I remembered the silent voice that told me that Marc was not the one for me. That voice felt so real. I should be feeling intense pain, but I felt a sense of relief. Like someone was opening my cage door, and I was about to be set free.

There was no freedom in my relationship with Marc. It was a sadistic prison of lust and lies. I felt the pleasure of being his girlfriend and the pain of being his girlfriend.

"Jake, I have to go," I said. He looked so beautiful asleep. I changed out of his shirt and into my clothes before heading into the bathroom to freshen up. After a few minutes-and using his toothpaste-I walked out of the bathroom to find Jake sitting on his bed.

"Going now, Missy?" he asked, followed by a stretch and a yawn.

"Yeah. I have to get my mom's car back before she goes to work; otherwise, she'll flip out." I averted my eyes as his muscles flexed while he stretched.

"Marc still there?"

"I don't know. I guess," I replied. "Maybe I should give him another chance. I'm sure there's a reason why he cheated. Maybe I did something wrong." That feeling of defeat sank back in. "Marc's too good for me, and he knows it," I said. Tears escaped my eyes again. I dabbed them away with Jake's shirt that I wore the night before.

"Fucking hell, Lydia! After what he did to you? Are you fucking insane?" Jake's eyes blazed with fire. "Lydia Coleman, you are blind," Jake said. "You are beautiful. You are kind. You're smarter than this. You are the perfect woman. Marc doesn't deserve you."