23 Heartbreaker friend

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to all the guys and gals in the world who wear glasses. I think glasses are sexy. :)

Mood: swipe left and tap the media box above to listen to Sucker by Jonas Brothers.

- - -

Lydia

After Christmas break, I was ready for second semester. I had made it to being halfway through my first year of college and survived it so far. When I received my first-semester results, I was elated that I passed all my subjects.

I also tapered my Zoloft antidepressant medication until I was completely off it, which felt liberating. Six months ago, I would not have done this, but now, I felt stronger and more confident in fighting my everyday battles without feeling down in the dumps.

I have to admit that having loyal and trustworthy friends like Jake, Carrie, and Kath really helped me get out of bed to face each day. They loved me for all my positive qualities and my flaws, and I felt the same way about them too. I was never alone to win a war against my demons in this world.

Jake and Carrie helped me get through the worst of my breakup with Marc.

We sat at the university bookshop cafe one day to eat lunch in between lecture breaks. Johan commented that Marc was a dick for cheating on me.

"But he's your friend," I pointed out.

"Yeah, but he's still a dick," Johan said. "Carr, pass me the ketchup!"

"Honey, you've already got ketchup on your burger!" Carrie stated the obvious. Johan's burger was loaded with blood-red ketchup.

Johan grabbed the ketchup over the table and squirted it on his already ketchup-soaked burger. Gross. He was a big guy and athletic, so he would probably burn all that energy in no time from the sugar in the ketchup.

I wore the rose-gold watch Jake bought me for Christmas. It was a timeless classic detailed with tiny crystal stones around the bezel. He always had immaculate taste. I also wore the heart necklace my mom and dad bought me. It reminded me of home.

"Toga party's coming up in a few weeks," Zach exclaimed.

"We're going! What's a toga party without the Hawkes?" Carrie said, stroking Johan's cheek. He smooched Carrie in response.

"Get a room," Jake said, rolling his eyes and folding his arms. I watched his biceps move.

"You going? The whole swim team will be there," Jake said, looking at me.

He was on the university swim team. I've heard a few people dub it the dream team because the swimmers were hot, including Jake. He trained most mornings before class during the week, so he was up before the sun rose.

"Nope. Couldn't be bothered. Marc will be there if the Hawkes are there," I groaned.

"C'mon, Lyds. Jake will be there," Zach said.

I looked at Jake and gave him a weak smile.

"I still miss him. It'll hurt to see him having fun, especially with other girls." I was upset.

"Besides, it's just an excuse for you to get laid, Mr. Heartbreaker," I glared at Jake. He knew what I was talking about. I was his wingwoman.

He slept with one of my housemates, Thea Alston, at a party we went to a week ago and ghosted her afterward. She had been hounding me about him, crying over how sincere he was before they did the dirty and how much of a prick he was after that night. They met at the party, and I was at fault for bringing her with me and introducing them. She really wanted him, and it ended in heartbreak.