28 The plan

Image: The cactus plant at the dream team party.

Mood: swipe left and tap the media box above to listen to BAE by Pharrell Williams.

- - -

Lydia

"What the heck, Lydia?!" Jake exploded.

Uh-oh. Jake called me Lydia only when he was serious. At that point of time, he was serious. Seriously mad. Jake came back inside from doing body shots, and I smelled tequila on him.

Some girl called Mandy had apparently asked Jake to do a body shot with her. She had it bad for him, from what I overheard from Mandy's squad when they came inside.

Jake spotted me by the cactus plant with Gabe, who grinned at Jake.

"Jake, this is-" Gabe attempted to introduce me to Jake.

"We already know each other," Jake and I responded in unison.

I bit my lip while Jake shook his head.

Jake gave a grim, thin smile to Gabe and pulled him aside, guiding him to the corner near the cactus. He was animated when he talked with Gabe, who gave a look of innocent surprise. Gabe said something back to Jake, waved at me and pointed at the food table to signal he was getting something to eat, then disappeared.

A few moments later, Jake stormed back to me. His face was flushed, and his taut cheeks ticked. His eyes could pierce right through me now.

"Jake, I'm sorry."

"Sorry?! Sorry doesn't even cut it right now!"

"Are you pissed?" I asked. Stupid question, I know.

"Pissed doesn't even cover it. Are you fucking serious? Going to the movies with Gabe? After what we talked about a few months back?"

"I'm really sorry! I'll call it off."

"No. Don't. Don't even bother."

Mandy came up right behind Jake and pinched his butt.

"Nice ass, Jake," she hollered, and her friends laughed.

Jake was oblivious to Mandy and her friends. He was pissed off. He stared me, then stared at the cactus plant. Then back at me again.

"Gabriel is my friend," Jake exclaimed. His eyes were still wild. "He's a good guy." He sighed. Then paused again. "Go to the movies with him. As friends. Nothing more."

"Are you sure?"

Jake nodded.

"I'll take you." His eyes stared into mine. He and I were somehow physically closer than a minute ago. I eyed his muscled chest, broad shoulders and toned arms.

"Thank you, I'd love that." I placed my hand on Jake's chest. He put his hand over mine, then moved it away from his chest.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," he sighed.

---

Jake

Damn right, I was pissed off.

I left her alone for a few minutes and guys hit on her left, right, and center.

Gabe was supposed to be my friend. Mates before dates. Yeah, right. I couldn't believe he snuck in a date with Missy. In all fairness, he had no idea who she was, let alone who she was to me.

I had a plan. Lydia already agreed to it. She just didn't know what she signed herself up for.

Did she want to play games? Game on.

I was ready.

A/N: Please vote and/or comment if you like this chapter. ⭐️