10: Freddie's Visit

*8th December 1971*

IT HAD BEEN A FEW days since Roger had stormed out of the coffee shop and I hadn't seen him since. In some ways, I was glad of that because it meant I didn't have to listen to all the reasons Lucas was wrong for me.

Today was my coffee shop day; it was one of the only two days of the week I didn't have to work two jobs. 

"You look beautiful today," Lucas' voice sounded in my ear and I shivered as a result. I had pretty much forgiven him that regrettable night and the bruise had started to fade.

"Thank you, Luke," I replied, smiling at him and pulling my jacket on over my bruised arm and only then did he notice. 

"Did I do that?" He sounded horrified and I avoided his gaze. I nodded lightly, hoping that maybe he wouldn't see. 

"Julie, I'm so sorry; I didn't mean to!" He gripped my arm gently this time to get a closer inspection. His eyebrows furrowed and he looked genuinely sorry. He traced the yellow skin with his finger, "Does it hurt?" 

"Nah, not really," I told him honestly. "It's fine, really," I didn't want him to feel bad for this, I knew  he hadn't meant it. 

"I won't do this ever again," He promised, moving his hands to lower my head so he could kiss my forehead. I smiled lightly and stood on my tip toes to press a quick kiss to his lips.

"I have to go or I'll be late," I said when I pulled back from him. 

"Okay, I'll see you tonight; I'll make dinner for you coming home," 

"Bye, Luke,"

---------------------------------------------------------

I hated working in this coffee shop, it seemed like just the place for all my dreams to die. Every time I stood at this till, I prayed silently for a better life. It seems that Lucas and I are on better terms now so maybe I was only getting one aspect of my life fixed at a time. 

"A breakfast tea and a coffee for you, please, darling," The posh voice of Freddie Mercury brightened up my mind and put a smile on my tired face. 

"Freddie! It feels like it's been ages since I've seen you,"

"That's because it has, it's been too long. Get me a tea and get yourself a coffee and let's have a chat,"

"Fred, I'm working, I can't just stop so I can have a catch up," I hissed at him, glancing at my manager, Sarah. 

"Of course you can, you work non-stop. Sarah, darling!" Freddie caught the attention of Sarah who smiled her sweet smile.

"Freddie! How can I help you?" She asked, she absolutely loved everything about Freddie and indeed, she loved all the other members of Queen. 

"Sarah, it seems that Julie has been working two jobs tirelessly and she is beyond stressed, don't you think it would be a nice idea that she and I sit and have a catch up since we haven't been able to do that due to how busy we both are?"

"Well, you have been working really hard recently, Julie. Why don't you take your break a bit early this once and you can just relax for a bit," 

Freddie was so persuasive. Sarah might like the other members of Queen, but she wouldn't have fallen for that from anyone but Freddie. I smiled, thanked her and prepared the comforting hot beverages for us to drink. 

"So, how's you and Mary?" I asked him when I sat down, wrapping my cold hands around the mug  of coffee. 

"Absolutely perfect, my dear, she really is the most amazing woman I've ever met,"