12: Stay, Please

*19th December 1969*

"HAVE YOU GOT ANY plans for tonight?" Jennifer asked me after I had served a certain forbidden Lucas his coffee.

When Lucas came into the shop my mind immediately jumped to Roger. What would he say if he found out Lucas was here? Well, I can't exactly ban Lucas from the shop simply because Roger doesn't like him.

He had asked for a coffee and he'd smiled at me, asking how I'd been. I didn't really engage with him because I didn't want him to think I was trying to continue the conversation.

"Fine, thanks," I didn't even ask about him and I had felt more than a bit rude.

"I'm going to the Crown and Anchor with my friend Jeanette, what about you?" I asked Jennifer. I was quite looking forward to my night out with Jeanette but I was hoping she'd be sober this time.

"Oh, that sounds good; I'm having a cosy night in with Geoff," Geoff was Jennifer's boyfriend. He was such a nice guy and he treated her like a princess. I'd always prayed for a Geoff of my own and now I finally had one.

"That sounds nice," Unless you hadn't already guessed, I wasn't really one for small talk. Jennifer, on the other hand, was. She continued to blab away about the weather and what were my plans for Christmas and whatever became of that blonde guy who was in here a while ago?

"We still see each other," I didn't really want to get into it with her right now.

Every so often, I could feel Lucas' eyes on me while I worked and it made me feel really uncomfortable. It would be amazing if Roger could come to the rescue and chase Lucas out the shop like he did the other day.

But, no such luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Julie! It's good to see you again," Jeanette told me when I met her at the bar.

"It's good to see you too," I replied truthfully. It really was good to see my new friend again but this time she was actually sober; I wondered how long that would last.

"How're you?" She asked me, a big and bright smile plastered on her face.

"I'm really good, and you?"

"Brilliant! Brian and I are going out next weekend," She told me, bursting with joy.

"Are you? That's great!" I smiled at her excitement, pleased that Brian had a girl. He'd seemed really shy the other night to be around Jeanette but that seemed to be butterflies.

"Yeah! I saw you leave with Roger, anything interesting?"

"We just talked," I told her, missing out the steamy make out session we'd had on my couch.

"Sure," She teased making me laugh. It was like Jeanette and I had been friends for years when we'd only met the other day. That reminded me, I wonder what Freddie would say if he found out me and Roger had had a little romantic escapade.

"Julie? Is that you?" A familiar voice filled me with dread as I turned to look into the attractive eyes of Lucas.

"Lucas? What are you doing here?" I asked him, feigning a smile.

"I just thought I'd stop in for a pint, what about you?"

"I'm here with my friend; this is Jeanette," I introduced him to her and hoped she would save me from him.

"Hi," She smiled politely and shook his hand.

"Let me buy you a drink while I'm here," Lucas insisted, turning back to me.