44: Born to Love You

*8th December 1972*

"WISH ME LUCK, LOVE," 

Roger was going to a very important meeting with a very important man and, if the meeting went well, our lives could be changed.

"Good luck, Rog! I love you so much," I told him, kissing him on the lips. He then bent down to kiss Olivia's forehead as she fussed in my arms. 

"I'll be back in a few hours," He promised, said goodbye and rushed out of the door. I could tell he was nervous but I'd assured him on more than one occasion that he was going to be okay. 

I shook Olivia in my arms and smiled down at her beautiful face. Her resemblance to Roger was scary but my love for her grew every single day. 

The last few months had been tiring for me and Roger but I was glad that I had him. We took it in turns, getting up in the night when Olivia woke up and Roger never ever complained. He always just placed his hand on my back and got up out of bed without a word. 

However, last night had been my turn because I didn't want him getting up at ridiculous times of the night before a really important meeting. So due to my very early start, I was very tired. 

3 o'clock in the morning in winter is much different to 3 in the morning in the summer. In summer, 3 in the morning is the sun's first breath, it's a time for quiet contemplation in a gentle breeze. In winter, it is the darkest moment; it's cold and a different kind of silent. It's a time for silently shaking on your feet and struggling to keep your eyes open.  

Having a daughter made me wish my mum was here more than ever. It was so strange because I was never the type of girl who needed her mother but there had been a few hard nights where all I could do was cry out for my mum. But she couldn't hear me and I was too scared to ring her. 

I called to say I'd had the baby a few days after Olivia was born and she seemed happy for a moment; she even asked where I lived so she and my dad could come and meet the baby. 

Well, she was happy, until I told her the name.

"You called her Olivia?"

"Well...There was no way I could ever call her anything else," 

"Listen, Julie...I-uh-I have to go, I'll phone soon,"

She hasn't called back since then. 

I cried for at least an hour after that phone call. I just wanted things to be okay with my family and I thought they would be after I had the baby; I thought she'd want to be involved with my baby. I guess I thought wrong. 

Echos of her last words to me filled my head every single day. 

"You didn't love her as much as I did, you never did," 

What a horribly cruel thing to say to me. 

Suddenly, almost in answer to my thoughts, I heard a car pull up in front of the house. Out stepped my mum and my dad. 

I almost cried right there. They were here to meet Olivia! 

I placed Olivia on her back on the mat we'd bought for her on the floor. It had a mini mobile and everything, she loved it. 

I rushed to the door and pulled it open to see my parents standing there. 

"Mum, Dad," I greeted, all knowledge of how to form a sentence leaving my mind. 

"Julie," My Mum replied, stepping forward. "You look different,"

I would imagine so; they hadn't seen me for years.