41: Forgiveness

*5th July 1972*

ROGER HAD BEEN TAKING extra care of me since my nightmare. Unfortunately, I gave away that I wasn't truly okay after the incident. I hadn't wanted to worry Roger.

"Do you want something to eat, love?" Roger asked, popping his head out of the kitchen.

"Depends on what you're planning on making," I replied.

"I was going to try and boil an egg,"

I laughed loudly but when I looked at his face, I immediately stopped. "Oh, you're serious?" I said, "I thought you were joking,"

"Why the hell would I be joking about that?"

"Because it's a well known fact that you can't boil an egg,"

"Well, you're about to be amazed," Roger told me, making his way to the kitchen.

I jumped up from my chair, needing to see what a mess this was going to be. When I got to the kitchen, Roger was filling a pot with water.

"Just say the word when you want my help, darling," I said, sitting down and folding my arms.

"I won't be doing that, Jules. I am quite confident in my abilities,"

"Are you really?" I asked, holding back a giggle.

"You won't be laughing when you have a perfect hard boiled egg to eat,"

"Yeah, because I'll have had to stand there and make it for myself,"

"Jules! Stop talking, it's distracting me," Roger said, placing the pot on the stove and dropping two eggs into the water.

"Oh, sorry," I replied, holding my hands up in surrender.

I watched as the water began to boil and rise to the top of the pot.

"Roger! You've put too much water in it" I groaned and jumped up to pull Roger back when the boiling water spilled over the edge and onto the floor.

"Look at what you've done," I chastised him like a child and moved to turn the stove off. "I told you you couldn't do it," I said, my voice breaking into a laugh.

"Yeah, that's your fault," he said, pointing to the wee puddle of water which was collecting on the floor.

"How is that my fault?!" I asked, horrified.

"I told you to stop distracting me!" He replied.

"You can't blame me for everything,"

"I'm just blaming you for things that are actually your fault, love. Just cause you can't take responsibility for your mistakes,"

"Roger! Just clean that up," I ordered, pointing a finger at the floor. "You're so immature," I said, watching him get the towel and wipe the floor.

"Watch you don't burn yourself on it,"

"Right, we don't have a child yet, Jules. Calm your mothering down; I'm a big boy, I can look after myself."

"Tell that to the puddle of water that came from you trying to boil an egg: the easiest thing to cook,"

He stood up and smacked my arse lightly as he walked towards the sink with the soaking towel making me squeal.

"Roger!" I squealed, blushing.

"What?" Roger asked, innocently.

"You're an arse,"

"But you love me," he whispered, kissing my cheek.