36: Eyes on Me

*16th June 1972*

IT WAS BEYOND ROASTING in this house today. I was sweating like a pig even though I was wearing short shorts and a tank top. I was uncomfortable due to the heat and due to my belly which was ever expanding.

The back door was wide open and so was every window in the house as I sat in the kitchen which was slightly cooler than the rest of the house.

I could do nothing but sit in a chair and bake in the summer heat. I didn't know how I was going to make it to the end of this God forsaken season. It was so much hotter in London than it had ever been in Scotland. I was a lot more used to the freezing conditions.

Roger wasn't going to be home until late in the night because Queen were performing tonight. I was really angry that I wasn't going to see the gig especially since I'd promised that I'd be at them all but Roger told me not to be silly. I was pregnant and he didn't want me to be at a pub by myself while they performed. I guess he was right.

——————————————

Things were a lot less roasting as the night progressed and the sun began to set. The cool breeze of a summer evening floated through all the open windows bringing with it a sweet relief; I could breathe now.

I shut the back door and all the windows so I could start getting ready for bed. Roger had told me not to wait up.

I think it was going to need to be one of those nights where you have to sleep with all the covers off. I was quite glad Roger wasn't here because he likes to cuddle and I would never have gotten to sleep if he did that because of how hot it was.

I lay down in the bed wearing nothing but my underwear and a tank top and tried to get a bit of sleep.

———————————————-

I woke to a sound coming from downstairs and I wondered if it could have been Roger coming home. It was a loud thud that could very well have been a drunk Roger Taylor stumbling his way back into the house.

I lay there for a moment, still half asleep. I wondered what it could have been. Maybe I should get up and look.

I slid off the bed and shakily stood on my feet. I made my way to the top of the stairs and considered calling for Roger. But what if it wasn't Roger?

I slowly padded down the stairs and, when I got the bottom, timidly walked down the hall to the living room. I almost screamed.

Two men were standing there, one of them very familiar.

I tried to run for the front door but one of them grabbed me by the arms. I opened my mouth to scream but the man holding me put his hand over my mouth to stop the sound.

"You're...he got you pregnant?" The horribly familiar sound of Lucas laughing at Roger filled my ears. It seemed funny to him that Roger got me pregnant.

"That's really funny," he laughed, "I didn't think the guy had it in him,"

Well, he was way more fun in bed than you ever were, I might have said if the guy wasn't covering my mouth.

"And where is he? Is he doing a gig?" He asked, making fun of Roger. "It's quarter to three in the morning and your boyfriend has left you in the house, alone? Some boyfriend,"

"Some boyfriend who doesn't hit me for no reason when he comes home from the pub," I said when the guy removed his hand.

"I never hit you for no reason," Lucas said, stepping a bit closer to me. "I hit you because you deserved it. And then you came crying to him and told the police, that was a tricky one to get out of,"

"You're insane," I spat.

"If I was you, I'd watch what I said. You are not in control here even though you'll still try to be,"

"Roger will be home any minute,"

"And what? This guy here beat him up before, what makes you think he can't do it again?" Lucas laughed, gesturing to the man who still had his arm around me.

"You should never have touched him!" I shouted, anger filling my body when I thought of the state Roger was in when he came home that night.

"Neither should you," he retorted.

"He's a much better man than you'll ever be,"

That's when I felt the familiar sting of being slapped in the face. "And what are you going to do about the fact that we nearly killed your precious Roger? You, a tiny pregnant woman. I promised you that one day when he wasn't around to protect you, you would regret everything. That day has come,"

He produced a knife from his pocket and I screamed. I knew he was going to kill me but I had to protect my baby. There was no way I was going to let him hurt my baby.

Lucas ran at me, knife at the ready but I managed to break out of the grip of the man holding me. That was bad news for that guy because it happened too fast for Lucas to stop and he plunged the knife into the man's stomach making him collapse.

I screamed at the sight of the bloody knife which was now definitely coming for me.

I ran into the kitchen and tried to find a knife of my own but it was too late, he'd grabbed me and spun me round.

"I could've given you everything, but you didn't want it," he said, tears spilling out of his eyes. He was actually insane.

"Please, don't hurt me," I cried, not knowing where the knife was. I punched his face as hard as I could and ran for the front door. Again though, he stopped me and we both fell on the floor.

The knife was in his hand as I fought him to the best of my abilities. This was my worst fear realised.

I screamed loudly and held his wrist away from me. The wet blood from the dying man dripped onto my chest and I knew I'd be next.

Tears streamed from my eyes as I lost the battle and he stuck the knife into my chest. It was an unbelievable pain that I'd had nightmares about experiencing.

The world was silent. All I could focus on was the pain. Please, God, save my baby.

I stared up at him, unable to make any sound as he pulled the knife out again. He raised it to stick it in again but that's when I felt him being pulled off me.

I hadn't heard the door opening for the pain but now I could hear Roger's screams. I looked at him and watched as he somehow got the knife out of Lucas' hand and started to beat the shit out of him.

Everything was blurry and hazy now. In the far distance, I heard the sound of metal clanging on the hard wood floor as Roger fell to his knees by my side. The knife lay next to him, his hands covered in Lucas' blood who was now unconscious on the floor.

"Oh god, oh my god, please, love," Tears streamed from Roger's eyes as he held me in his lap, trying to put pressure on the wound. "Keep your eyes on me! I'm sorry, Jules, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry," he lowered his forehead to meet mine and some of his tears fell onto my cheek.

"I have to phone an ambulance, I'll be right back. Keep your eyes open, baby, please keep your eyes open!" He screamed and I tried to do as he said but my eyelids were so heavy.

I lifted my hand to my stomach and rubbed it gently. Please god, let my baby live.

I could hear Roger's shouting coming from next to me once more but I could no longer see him. My eyes fell shut and I slipped into a dreamless sleep.

————————————————-

A/N

Oh my god! I can't believe that just happened!

Next chapter is going to be in Roger's POV and it will maybe be posted later today so make sure you're on the look out for that!

Keep reading!

Xx