18: Toxic

*14th December 1971*

IT WAS TIME FOR ME to go to work and try to get on with my normal life. I'd managed to get up despite every part of my body screaming at me to stay in Roger's arms.

"You sure you want to go to work today, love?" Roger asked as I put the clothes on that I'd come in last night. I hadn't really thought this all the way through. I couldn't go back to my house to get clothes because I'm sure Lucas would be angry at me for leaving.

But I'd need to go back at some point; I can't hide forever. Maybe if I went during the day, he wouldn't be in and I could get my stuff.

"I need to, Rog, I can't afford not to. I'll need to go back to my house soon, I can't bother you forever,"

"Jules, this is not bothering me. You never have to go back there again,"

"Well, I need to go and get my stuff," I replied, poking my bruised cheek and nose in the mirror. How was I going to explain this to Sarah?

"Jules, I want you to phone the police,"

"Roger, it's fine, I don't need to do that,"

"Yes you do! Look at your face, that's against the law to do that to someone, you know,"

"Yeah, I know that but I don't want to cause anymore problems,"

"I'm not dropping this," He told me after I pointed to my watch. I moved forward, stood on my tip toes and pecked his cheek lightly. But just as I went to walk away, he grabbed hold of my wrist and pulled me into a kiss. A little surprised sound came out of my mouth but I quickly closed my eyes and melted into him.

"See you later," He whispered when he finally pulled away. I was a little too dazed to answer him so I simply nodded with a smile and walked towards the door. My heart was beating a million miles an hour and my stomach was doing back flips.

I was glad to have him back.

-------------------------------------------

"What on earth have you done to your face, Julie?" Sarah was horrified when she saw the state Lucas had left my face in.

"I slipped on some ice yesterday and landed face first on the concrete," For an awkward human being, I was surprisingly good at lying. I was so good that she totally bought that.

"Oh dear, you need to be more careful!" She chastised me, placing her hand on my back.

"I know, I know," I laughed it off, pushing away the harsh memories of the truth, "I'm just really clumsy, you know that by now. Don't you remember that time I spilled that iced coffee all over that girl's arm a few months ago?" I tried to direct the conversation onto something else.

"Yeah, I couldn't forget, thank god it was iced coffee," she chuckled at the memory and I was glad my plan to take attention off my apparent accident had worked.

————————————

After hours and hours of people staring at the bruises on my face, my shift finally ended. I decided I was going
to my house today and I was definitely not going to forget to bring some makeup to Roger's house.

I pulled up in front of the house I'd shared with Lucas for years and stared at it. The horrific memories of the other night filled my mind and fear pulsed through my body.

I went to unlock the door but when I noticed it was already unlocked, my heart sank. Lucas must be in.

I did a full breath cycle before I opened the door and stepped inside the house.

"Julie?" A shaky voice called from the living room. Suddenly Lucas appeared at the door looking like a mess. His eyes were red rimmed and tired looking and he hadn't shaved. "I didn't think you were coming back," he told me, his face breaking into a smile.

"Look at what I've done to you, I'm so sorry," his voice cracked and he burst into tears. He fell to his knees in front of me, wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his head on my stomach.

Oh my god. What do I do?

"Lucas, I'm not coming back, I'm just here to get my stuff,"

He lifted his head and presented his face which was shining with tears. "What? Where are you going?"

"Away from you," I told him, taking his arms off me and making my way upstairs to the bedroom to get my things.

"Please, Julie, I was drunk. I won't ever do it again,"

"I need to be away for a bit and not have to see you right now,"

"You're going to Roger, aren't you?" His voice changed from pathetic and pleading to angry and accusing. "I knew this would happen, I guess I was right,"

"You beat me up the other night and you're now accusing me of, what? Cheating on you?" I didn't look at him when I said this, I just continued to pack my bag to take to Roger's house.

"But you are going to him, aren't you?"

"Why on earth would I tell you where I'm going? You'd probably just follow me there," the pathetic, fear filled girl who was crying into Roger's shoulder the other night was gone; replaced by someone who was completely finished with the tall man standing in front of me.

"Please stay with me," Lucas' voice went back to pathetic and pleading.

"No, I don't want you in my life right now,"

"So, you're done with me and now you're running straight back to the guy who cheated on you. The guy who doesn't give a shit about you,"

"Oh, please!" I huffed, losing the rag a bit and finally turning to look at him. "That was your fault that that happened, I knew he wouldn't do that to me. If there's anyone who doesn't care about me, it's you! Take a look at my face and everyone can see what a loving boyfriend you are. Oh and, by the way, I know you used to date Roger's sister and you cheated on her and not the other way around. You've been a liar from day one and I can't believe I ever trusted you over him!"

When I was done with my rant, he raised his hand and slapped me in the face but this time I didn't fall. I simply glared at him and turned back around to packing my things, ignoring my stinging cheek.

"There goes your pathetic 'I was drunk' excuse," I said, unable to keep my mouth shut.

He grabbed hold of my shoulders and spun me around to look at him. "One of these days, you're not going to have him to protect you and that'll be the day you are going to sorely regret everything you've said to me,"

I stared at him, fear flowing through my body that I refused to let him see. "Get your hands off me," I hissed at him which he did and walked out the room. Once I was sure he was gone, I doubled over and panted, finally allowing the fear to show. My heart was pounding and I knew I had to get out of that house as soon as I could.

I packed all the essentials that I could find, not forgetting my makeup for the bruise including the new one that would probably form.

I dragged the bag down the stairs and made my way to the front door. I heard footsteps from down the hall and I turned to see Lucas staring at me. I stared right back, neither of us saying a word to each other.

Then I looked back at the door, pulled it open and left that toxic house and the toxic man in it behind.

—————————————-

A/N

I wanted to write a wee chapter about Julie standing up for herself so that it wasn't a totally damsel in distress story, even though I am a sucker for those.

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!

Keep reading!

Xx