Chapter 12

I walk into the doctor's office, nerves fluttering in my stomach. I'm feeling very small and fragile right now.

"So, Hayden..." Dr. Chao says. "You have been having symptoms of pregnancy, correct?"

"Yes," I say. "I've experienced nausea, fatigue, weight gain, morning sickness and craves. I'm also very late."

She jots this down on her clipboard. "Have you taken an at home test yet?"

"No," I flush deep red. "I'm too much of a baby to do that. I'm afraid that I will be pregnant."

"Weren't you trying for a baby, though?" Dr. Chao asks.

I shake my head. "No, me and my...ex-boyfriend weren't trying for a child at all."

She hands me a box of pregnancy tests and I head to the washroom for testing. I take the tests five minutes apart, not looking at the results. I walk back to the exam room, my nerves on high now. Dr. Chao examines them closely, smiling here and there. She looks me straight in the eye.

"You are pregnant. Both tests were positive, but our radiologist will see for sure." She says. "But first if you happen to be pregnant, are you going to keep the child?"

"Yes, no adoptions or abortions please." I smile.

*  *  *

I lay on the table or bed--whatever it is--for what seems like forever. The technician is an older man with greying hair and green eyes. For women his age, he'd appear to be rather handsome.

"You're pregnant, sweetheart." He says.

That's the end of that. I'm pregnant and broken at the same time. I pull my cell phone out of my purse.

"Mom," I say. "I'm pregnant."

*********

So this almost concludes the short story. It's the first story I've ever finished and I am content with it. Yes, it is in the editing process and I will most likely add/change things to some chapters. But right now I couldn't be happier :) If you like my story, please feel free to show/tell your friends and family about it. Hope you've enjoyed it so far...the Epilogue is to come! ;D