Epilogue

People keep telling me 'you only live once'. But honestly, what does that even mean? No one makes sense anymore; I wish I could be numb forever. How long will my broken heart last? I need to get better. What will I do with his child, especially if it is a boy? I'm now praying everyday that I have a girl, so that when I look at her I'll see me and not what I lost.

I don't know if I can be a good mother when I'm split into a million pieces. My world is slowly mending itself, though it's hard to believe this.

"You'll be fine," Megan insists. "Broken hearts don't last forever."

I barely hear her; I'm reminiscing about chasing dawn with Levi, all the nights spent at Vanilla Beans, all our our kisses. The fighs, the night I became pregnant and the night I ended things with Levi. The funny thing is, I knew that dating Levi would have heart-ache involved. Natalie had even warned me on several occasions, but I ignored what people told me. I ignored my intuition.

I enter Vanilla Beans and an unsuspecting wave of grief washes over me. I grab a cappuccino and sit in our both. This booth has been with us since the first day we met, down until our fight and our broken hearts. I glance up when I hear the familiar jingle of a customer entering the shop. It's him; Levi. His eyes flick to me for a nanosecond and I'm compelled to watch as he goes to talk to his aunt Ruth. I'm straining to hear or see anything, but customers are in the way.

I watch as Levi heads towards me, my mending heart splitting at the seams. He slides in the booth.

"Look, I'll make this quick." He says. "I just want to know how you are doing."

I look into his deep brown eyes, the eyes that hold millions of lies.

"I'm getting better." I take a deep breath. "Cogratulations."

"On what, Hayden?" He frowns.

"You're going to be a father." I say. "Thank you for this by the way, it's not what I wanted."

I get up and leave before the tears can come. I'm happy that I'm having a child, but it would be so much easier if Levi and I were together. But we're never, ever getting back together. Ever.