Chapter Ten

Deryk and Brenan came back a moment later with full arms. It looked like they'd bought one of everything, and ignoring my declination, a drink for each of us.

"I know you said you didn't want anything, but Deryk said you like orange, so..." Brenan stared at the drink and then held it out, unsure.

"Thank you," I said with a pointed look to Suzie. "I just realized how thirsty I am."

"Really?" He raised his eyebrows.

I took a sip, making sure to slurp, and swallowed loudly. "Really. Thank you."

His smile was filled with boyish charm and happiness. That wasn't so hard. Just as long as he didn't expect me to break out in cheer and praise him for a job well done.

"What movie are we watching?" Suzie looked up to Deryk.

"Action. Cars and racing."

"Cheer up, Suzie," I said as her face lost its eagerness at Deryk's answer. "Vin Diesel is in it, and you can annoy Deryk by gushing over how sexy his voice is with me. Through the whole movie."

She smiled and, just like a switch being flipped, the eagerness returned. I'd seen the movie a thousand times before, the first ever in the Fast and Furious franchise, but Vin Diesel's voice? It could melt the underwear off every female—young or old—within range when he spoke. Like a low growl threatening untold pleasures, though I couldn't imagine watching the new movies without Paul Walker to look at.

"I think I've seen it before," she said.

"You have," Deryk confirmed. "With me."

"No wonder I don't remember."

"Wow, if this turns into a make-out session between you guys, I'm hauling you into the street and pretending it's a boxing ring," I warned, laughing, and winked at Brenan as I took another sip of my orange pop.

"Do you remember when she was quiet and agreeable?" Deryk asked Suzie as though I wasn't there, and she laughed.

"Alyssa has never been quiet," she said. "She is so far from agreeable, she's like a mountain: strong and unmoving."

"Yes, she was." His eyebrows knitted together, and he looked down to her with confusion.

"No." Suzie laughed, shaking her head. "You just met her when she was—" She cut herself off and flashed a guilty look towards me, like the mere mention would cause me to back out and go home or melt where I stood.

I turned to Deryk, keeping my tone flat, "She means you met me when my boyfriend was murdered, and I was a wreck. Before that, like now, I was opinionated and crass with friends, but hated crowds. But I learned to fight," I said, turning to glare at Suzie. "So, I'm over the hesitancy with new people. If you think I'm stubborn, you should have met Tina."

"Uh." Deryk looked to Suzie and she shook her head, biting her cheek.

"Let's start over." I stuck out my hand to Deryk. "I'm Aly and I love to fight. I prefer books to parties, and I try to say what's on my mind always. A year ago, my boyfriend died in front of me, and I hate to talk about it, but I won't crumble if you do." I narrowed my gaze on Deryk in silent warning and then smiled as though I didn't have a care in the world. "Oh, and I like to run." Nodding, I wiggled my eyebrows. "For fun."

He looked down as though just noticing my hand before reaching out to grasp it in his own. "Um, I'm Deryk?"

The ice finally broke and I found myself having a good time. The theatre was deserted with only three others shadowing the front row, but they were quiet, making it feel like the four of us were sitting at home with a movie instead of in public. Just with a really big TV. In a small town like Hidden Springs, it was surprising there was a theatre at all. The other two movies playing were newer, and judging from the parking lot, filled to capacity.

Even more surprising was that Suzie didn't make out with Deryk through the whole thing. Brenan didn't try to put his arm around my shoulders or hold my hand, but somehow managed to replenish my candy the moment I wanted more without my saying a word. When the movie ended, I was disappointed, wishing that the sequels had been scheduled to play so we'd have an excuse to stay.

The three shadowed figures left quickly, already out of sight by the time we exited through the back of the building. I didn't want the night to end but wanted to leave before the other movies let out and it became hard to go.

"So, what are you guys up to tomorrow?" Brenan asked, once again bringing up the rear in our line.

Suzie looked at me, wary. I could see the question in her eyes but had no way of answering. At least not without having to explain to everyone what the hell I was talking about.

"Do you have to work tomorrow?" she asked, giving me a way out if I wanted it.

"No."

She smiled and, I couldn't be sure, but I thought I heard Brenan exhale in relief. What could I say? Suzie had been right, though I'd never tell her that. I had fun and wouldn't say no to doing something like this again. Maybe even something that required more talking so that I could get to know him better. Had I enjoyed it because of the movie or because of Brenan?

"Do you guys want to go down to the Y?" Deryk asked.

"Why do you want to go there? You can work out and swim at school," I said.

Brenan looked at me and laughed from deep within his chest. "Not the YWCA, Aly," he said. "The Y. It's the path that forks in the woods. One end leads to that closed down asylum, and the other leads to a swinging bridge."

"Oh." I felt stupid, a fact that became further cemented when I saw Suzie and Deryk laughing at me. "Shut up, you guys. I've never been there!"

"It is fun," Suzie said, and then rolled her eyes. "If you don't think about the crazy ghosts that must be there, or about how the bridge is so old you might fall to your death at any moment. We used to party there a lot until the cops started locking it up at night. There's a huge gate at the entrance now."

I shivered. Ghosts? Falling to my death? "How about let's not and say we did?"

"We could go to Tucker's," Deryk suggested and I groaned.

"What about a picnic?" Suzie offered, looking at me, and I knew she understood I didn't want to introduce Brenan to 'my boys' unless I had to.

"Still too cold," I answered before anyone else could agree. There was only one picnic I wanted to remember, and that was with David. "Why don't we wait and figure it out tomorrow? The other movies are about to let out and I'd rather be away when that happens."

"Do you guys want to meet for breakfast, say ten?" Brenan looked at me, but I shook my head.

"Eleven?"

"That's more like brunch." He laughed. "Not a morning person?"

I shook my head again and started to answer, but Suzie cut me off.

"She runs." She turned to face me. "You know, you're not training anymore. You don't have to run every morning anymore. It's not like Gus is going to be mad and threaten to stop showing you how to box."

"I like running," I said, "and I only do it on weekend mornings."

"Fine, be weird. Eleven is fine with me. Deryk?"

"Sure, whatever." He smiled down at her and then kissed her on the top of her nose.

After agreeing to meet at Maggie's Café, we all left with who we'd arrived with, me and Suzie in my car, Deryk and Brenan in... I had no clue whose car they used. They hadn't parked in the parking lot.

I managed to leave before the parking lot overflowed with people from the other movies and got Suzie home in time to meet her early curfew that had been pushed from eight to ten because of the movie. Also, because I'd promised her dad that she was going with me—we'd left Deryk out of the equation.

Best of all, I managed to steer Suzie away from asking questions I didn't have answers to, promising that I would tell her what I thought of Brenan as soon as I figured it out. Oddly, she didn't push. My luck must've been improving. When I got home, my parents were in bed, and another set of questions was avoided. That never happens.

My luck held.

For the first time in a long time, I crawled into bed and fell asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow.