Chapter Twenty

Mike, Gabe, and Raffy were all working when I arrived at Tucker's for my shift, though the arcade had yet to be filled. I soon realized Mike was the only one working behind the concession counter, while Gabe and Raffy were just there to annoy him and play games.

"Hey, Aly, how are you feeling?" Raffy called out as I entered, and he jumped down from the counter. He took a step forward, zipping up his sweater, and then backtracked to sit on one of the stools, leaning his back against the counter.

"Meh, I'm here."

"Feeling better?" Gabe asked from his chair, and I could have sworn there was actual concern lacing his words.

I smiled. "Usually."

"I don't get it," Raffy said, confused. "How do you usually feel better? Isn't it an either-or answer?"

I laughed and cocked my head to the side and darted my eyes between Mike and Gabe. They both rolled their eyes and I shook my head, straightening. "Too easy."

"You good to work the restaurant tonight?" Mike asked, and I felt the weight of all three sets of identical blue eyes fall on me.

"Yep." I looked up to the second level and smiled.

"It's Friday."

"No really? I thought it was Mother's Day." I rolled my eyes. A busy Friday night earning a pocketful of tips was exactly what I needed to take my mind off my... Well, mind. "I'm good, Mike. Promise."

"Really?"

"Do I have to do cartwheels without puking before you believe me?"

"No," he said as Raffy nodded and said, "Yes."

"She can't do cartwheels in those boots."

I narrowed my eyes on Gabe. Peanut gallery. "And you shouldn't be able to get a date with that face, but you make do."

"Okay then." Mike clapped his hands together. "Feisty is back, which means Aly is working upstairs." He clasped his hands together in front of his chest, his t-shirt stretching tight across his muscles, and he darted his eyes between Gabe and Raffy. "Now, which of you two are planning to work Raffy's shift on the floor tonight?" Still shifting his gaze between them, he spread his hands wide, keeping his elbows tucked in at his sides. "Come on, guys."

Gabe and Raffy shared a look and then stuck out their fists, shaking them in the air. Gabe became paper; Raffy became scissors. But instead of conceding defeat, Gabe grabbed his jacket, pulling it on over his grey t-shirt as he strode to the door with a grin, and then paused.

"You said Raffy's shift, right?" He looked at me for a moment and winked. "See you guys in the morning. Except..." Wiggling his finger in my direction, he laughed. "Hopefully not you, Alyssa. I don't think my jaw can take another morning with you."

"You mean your ego?" I raised my eyebrow at him and smiled.

"Funny girl." He cupped his jaw and winked at me again before leaving.

I turned back to Mike and Raffy. "So, who do I have to beat up to work in the morning?"

And just like that, with a few laughs, the evening climate was set. Easy, fun, always warm. It was almost therapeutic with its calming vibrations. Even on a Friday as children squealed, teens fought, and couples... Well, that was the downside. Seeing couples sneak off to catch a moment of solitude in corners triggered memories of David, but I could handle it.

Mike came upstairs to help once the first wave of gamers decided they were hungry. It was a familiar routine. He sat people and cleaned tables while I took orders and served the food, and whoever was free handled the till when customers were ready to pay. Even if he was running the restaurant with our roles reversed, we always split the tips.