Chapter Thirty

I gasped, and my coffee fell from my hand to shatter across the floor.

Damn.

There was no chance they hadn't heard that. I held my breath, but their conversation had stopped. Damn, damn, damn. I looked behind me and then crawled backwards. Holding my breath, I gently set one of the chairs from the staff table on its side and lay on my stomach, my hands stretched above me.

The door creaked open and I glanced up to see all three of them glaring down at me. I smiled, making it look like a wince. Just act natural and you can figure the other crap out later.

"Aly?" Gabe's gaze narrowed. "What are you doing here? Don't you have class?"

Huffing, I winced again, and pulled myself to my knees, rubbing my side for effect. I clapped, brushing my hands off with the motion. Okay, I was one groan away from becoming obvious. Just answer the question, Aly.

"You guys have class, too," I countered.

"Midterms. No classes," Mike said, raising his hand.

"Skipping," Raffy said, and shrugged, and then looked to Gabe, who took a moment to realize we were all watching him.

Shaking his head, he glanced away from me, and shrugged. "I have a spare in third and now its lunch."

"Huh, well, I went to third." I stood and wiped my hands on the thighs of my pants. "Sorry about the mug." I looked to Gabe and grinned. "Again."

"At least it wasn't in my face."

"I thought your parents said you weren't allowed here?" Raffy asked with a grin as though saying, "I won't tell, but that's awesome."

"They said I couldn't work tonight. Not once did they say not to come here or stop by over lunch."

"Aly—"

"I like how you think," Raffy said with a nod, interrupting Mike.

"Why are you here, Aly?" Mike asked, crossing his arms, and Raffy clamped his mouth shut.

"Well, I came for some coffee," I said, "but that's a bust." I laughed and pointed to the floor. "Get it? Cause the cup broke? A bust?" Nobody else laughed, and I waved my hand at them, rolling my eyes. "Whatever. You guys suck."

Raffy smiled, Gabe glared, and Mike grabbed the broom and began sweeping.

"Actually, I came to ask why you booted Brenan from the hospital, so I guess it's good you're all here. This way I don't have to repeat myself."

Mike stopped sweeping, Gabe quit glaring, and Raffy stopped smiling.

One by one, they turned to look at one another as though determining what to say without having to speak a word, and while they were agreeing, it was like I didn't exist. But after what I'd just overheard, I doubted anything they said could surprise me. Maybe it would be a good thing, like I was some sort of long-lost princess that had riches and gold waiting for me to claim.

"Okay then." Shifting my weight, I crossed my arms and narrowed my glare at each of them. "How did he know I was there?"

"What do you mean?" Mike looked back at me and then Gabe and Raffy followed suite.

"Well, he was there before my parents, right? Unless he was visiting someone, or you called him, how would he know I was there?"

They all shrugged in unison.

"He was just there, Aly," Raffy said. "We didn't call him or see him visiting anyone."

"So then why did you tell him to leave?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. In the year we'd known each other, not even Raffy was rude without a reason, though they'd all been protective.