Chapter Forty-Six

"Nobody puts Baby in a corner."

"What?"

I looked up with surprise to find Deryk standing to my right, grinning. After losing Suzie, Mike, Gabe, and Raffy, I'd found an abandoned table to the right of the entryway to hide in the obscurity of the corner. Every few minutes, my eyes darted around, searching, but I still hadn't caught sight of them. Mostly, I bided time, scraping at my nail polish as I waited for the moment that I could leave. Suzie hadn't agreed, but I was going to take the high road—the one that allowed me to be indignant if she decided to get mad—and stay until 10:48.

That was one minute past my time of birth, which meant a minute longer than I had offered.

But how would that work if she didn't see me?

"Sorry." Deryk shrugged, smiling, and crimson blossomed on his cheeks. "I like the movie, and... I've just always wanted to say that."

"O-kay then." I went back to inspecting my nails, hoping he'd go away.

Instead, he turned a chair around and straddled it, resting his chin on his arms braced on the backrest. "Not having any fun?"

I shrugged. "Just biding my time until Suzie won't line me up before a firing squad if I leave."

"Then you're in luck." He stood and held out his hand. "She sent me to tell you to meet her in the garden. Come on, I'll walk you."

"I thought she wanted me to be inside so everyone could see me?" Turning, I looked at Deryk, narrowing my eyes.

"Hey, it's Suzie." He shrugged with one shoulder, and his smile grew bigger. "Her logic is never consistent."

Tilting my head, I darted my eyes left and then back to Deryk, a half-smile playing on my lips. "True."

He wiggled his fingers, and I rolled my eyes. I let him help me to my feet, and we began trekking through the crowds. Some people were dancing while others were talking in groups, and everyone was loud. Sweat doused with perfume choked at my throat and watered my eyes, making the thought of returning to the garden a welcome alternative to the constriction I felt inside the party.

"Did she say why she wants me to meet her?" I asked, looking up as we walked.

"Nope. Just something about giving you your present at the right time." He looked down and must have seen my confusion, which made him laugh. "Seriously, Aly. It's Suzie. I tend to just do as she says and hope for an explanation after."

I tried to smile and looked down to my watch. At 10:42, I only had five minutes left. Discomfort began radiating outwards through my body as we walked. At first, it was nothing, like it was just that time of the month again—the kind of pain that will ease if you exercise and work out the kinks. But then the soft hands kneading my stomach turned hard, leaving a cold that burned all that it touched. The fingers reached out of their nest and began to strangle the blood flow from my organs until it felt as though they withered and died, ceasing to function with synchronized timing.

I stopped and braced my hand against the wall as the crippling pain threatened to take out my knees. Just breathe. Fighting through heavy pants to gulp air, I counted to ten. One breath in, one breath out. In... out. I can do this.

"Are you okay?"

"I-I don't know. I... I have, uh, cramps, I guess." I lifted myself away from the wall and beads of perspiration wet my brow, the effort forcing me back. "I'll, uh..." I swallowed, nodding. "I'll be fine in a minute."

His eyebrows furrowed and his mouth pursed. "There's a bench outside. Come on, take my arm and I'll help you there so you can rest."

The bench is closer than a table and comes without an audience. I reached out, letting go of the wall again to fall into his arms. He caught me with ease, and once we were straightened, we began the slow process of taking the last few steps to the door.