Chapter Forty-Nine

"I can't believe you guys called an ambulance. I feel just fine, you know."

I sat upright on the examination table, swinging my legs over the side. With my gown more black than blue, and my hair tangled in a rat's nest of dirt, filled with who knew what from the ground, I looked like Carrie after the school had burnt to the ground. Well, except for the whole crazy bitch part and being covered in blood, but I could move things with my mind.

Still, all things considered? I was warm and dry and safe.

So, unless my embarrassment at having been hauled out of our birthday party on a stretcher was factored in, I was fine. I didn't wake up until I was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, though, so it won't count if I don't remember it.

Was I confused? Yeah. Filled with questions? Definitely. But the doctor had checked me over and said that I was fine physically. Of course, I stayed quiet on the evening's events so as not to call question upon my mental capacity. If I thought that a blood sample would verify what happened—surely there had to be a change within me on a cellular level—I would have drawn the proof myself.

Since that was as impossible as what had occurred, I bit my cheek and stayed quiet.

As soon as the doctor left the sterile room without windows, Suzie, Mike, Gabe, and Raffy burst through the door. They didn't believe I was fine, no matter what I said, and each of them thought it was in their power to tell me what to do.

"You passed out, Aly! Of course, we called an ambulance!" Suzie exclaimed from my side as her eyes roamed my body in careful examination.

Like the doctor can't do his job.

Pushing her hands away from touching my arm, I rolled my eyes to Mike, Gabe, and Raffy. "Why didn't one of you bring me here if you were so worried?" I stared at them lined up next to the door along the wall. They would have been faster. No one spoke. It was probably because, more than anyone, and despite the concern they showed, they knew I was fine.

I wanted Suzie to leave and for them to stay so I could gain answers. Why me? What did it mean? Who was I, really? And seriously, where had that light come from and why hadn't it gone away? Was it still in me? Why did the shadow need my acceptance when I was mortal? How did I kill the shadow?

Could I do it again?

If I thought hard enough, would I sprout wings like them?

My eyes landed on Mike, and my fingers unconsciously rubbed my wrist where tiny indentations left from my broken bracelet lingered. Mike caught my eyes, glancing down to my wrist, and then back up. Raffy didn't seem to notice my scrutiny and Gabe looked away, the ticking in his jaw working in overdrive. In my dream, David had said that he was with me, and despite coming to me outside of reality, he had promised that he would save me. Then Mike had shown up to even the odds against Darkness. If he hadn't, I doubt I could have survived—I almost hadn't.

I jumped down and landed on bare feet. "I want to go see my mom."

"Uh, Aly, your mom is still kind of..." Suzie looked to the boys and then back to me, swallowing. "Well, she's still going to be transferred in the morning."

"I want to see her. She won't be transferred until morning and it's only two." I looked up to the clock on the wall, not at all surprised that the shadow hadn't kept his promise. I could fix her, I realized. "I have a few hours before having to say goodbye."

"But your dad—"

"—can't stop me," I finished, meeting her worried stare without blinking. "I'm eighteen now, and he can't tell me I can't see her. I'm immediate family, which means visiting hours don't apply. What's her room number?"