Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Where are we?"

I looked around at the foreign surroundings in awe. It was a courtyard, but unlike anything I'd ever seen. The wall jutted like an ice palace without the cold, as though thousands of micro-sized diamonds had been forged together seamlessly to reflect the bright glow of the golden light all around us. Warmth like a mother's embrace folded itself around me, moving when I moved, matching my motions so that I never felt untouched.

"This is my home," he said, and gestured around us, turning in a circle. He stopped when he faced me, the blue in his eyes dancing with pride.

"The building," I whispered. "The building in the distance. This is it. But... Where is the shadow? It was dark—black—the last time I saw it."

Looking up again, I hoped to search his face for answers, but again he remained hidden. The light reflected in his eyes as though mirroring his own from within. He wore sandals on his feet and a white robe disguised what I knew to be a strong, warm, and safe embrace.

He stepped to his side and waved his arm around the room, his loose sleeve falling nearly to his hips, and bunched at the elbow. "This is how it is now. What you've seen is as it may come to be."

"So, it was a lie?"

"No, it was a possibility."

"So then make it impossible," I said, and shook my head. "If you alter buildings and create dreams, you can keep the darkness away." Duh.

He opened his mouth to say something and then, thinking better of it, closed it again. His eyes grew sad and he avoided looking at me. The truth is in the eyes.

"What, you don't want to see me now?" I asked, hoping to bait him.

"I'll always want to see you." But he didn't look up.

"What were you going to say about the darkness? How do you keep it away?"

"I don't."

"Seriously?" Shifting my weight, I crossed my arms. "There must be a way."

He nodded. "Of course. There is always a way."

"Then...?" I waved my arms in circles at my sides.

I wanted the time to ask questions—I had so many—but it was a dream. The only thing I'd really learned of dreams so far was that they never lasted. They were never long enough and, most of the time, just when they were getting good, they would end. Maybe that was just my experience, based on luck I didn't have, but there wasn't time to wait, even if I wouldn't remember. Obviously, the memory loss was only when I was awake because every time I dreamt, I remembered every moment of the previous dreams we'd shared. Maybe, if I could get enough answers, I would remember enough when I woke to write down what would help me while I was awake.

"It's all about choices," he said, looking up to make eye contact. "One person, who will need to make the right choice at the right time in the right place."

"So then tell that person this and I'm sure they will help." I rolled my eyes. Who would sacrifice such a beautiful place? It just didn't make sense.

"I wish I could." The sadness in his eyes travelled to his smile, and he sighed. "You see, nobody can help. Only this person will know the right choice at the right time in—"

"—the right place?" I finished, nodding. "So, don't you think giving them a head's up might be helpful? That maybe, oh, I don't know, they could recognize all these so-called 'right' things if you do?" I made finger quotes and then dropped my hands to my side, shrugging. "I'm just saying. You could make it easier."