Chapter Nineteen

Brenan was late on Friday morning. I had been too anxious to confess our date to Suzie in case my assumptions were right, and when he never showed up until second period, I felt ready to implode. Then, when he walked into class without even looking at me, I felt ready to cry.

Preparing to flee the moment the bell rang, I sat in my desk with my head down and tried to ignore everyone and how interesting they seemed to be finding me. Every tick of the clock was like thunder in my ears, and I nearly jumped as each second passed, constantly on alert. Thirty seconds to go.

I turned sideways and braced my hands against the wooden top of my desk like a runner pushing off a starting line. Twenty seconds.

I gazed up at the clock and willed time to hurry.

Fifteen seconds.

Way. Too. Slow.

Ten, five....

The bell rang, and a hand fell on my shoulder, gentle but firm as it kept me rooted in my chair. I closed my eyes and inhaled Brenan's familiar scent. Here it comes.

"Who are you running from?"

I blinked. "Huh?"

"I must've said your name at least ten times, but you looked like you were about to desecrate that clock."

Laughing, I shook my head, and the air rushed out of my lungs. I looked up and smiled. "It was ticking too loudly."

"O-kay then." He let go of my shoulder and hiked his bag over his arm. "Let's head to third so we aren't late."

He held out his hand and wiggled his fingers. Slowly, unsure of what to think, I held my hand out to his. He twined our fingers together and tugged to help me stand, but then he didn't let go. I looked at our hands and then to the door where students laughed and hurried to their next class. Then I looked back to him.

"Are you sure?"

A slow smile lifted his lips and he raised his eyebrow. "Aren't you?"

"Yeah." Licking my lips, I nodded. "I, uh... I think I am."

Spending the last twelve hours thinking he didn't like me had made me sure. To walk down the halls holding hands was like putting an ad in a newspaper, but I didn't care. Let their suspicions be confirmed. We had become the couple they thought we were all along.

"Why didn't you tell me last night?" Suzie demanded in a whisper as we stood in line in the cafeteria. "I found out from Rebecca, Aly. Do you know how dumb it made me feel to hear it from his ex-girlfriend?"

"It was just supper and a movie, Suze," I said. "Geez. We didn't even kiss goodnight."

"Really?"

"Honest. I wouldn't lie to you."

"Except for when you lied to me last night?"

"I never lied to you!"

"But you didn't tell me!"

"Omitting information is not lying," I told her, and stepped forward as the line moved.

"That's semantics."

"Still true, though." I grabbed a dish of fruit and set it beside the Iced Tea on my tray. "I answered every single question you asked me."

"Ugh. You are so frustrating."

We paid for our food with our meal cards and found an empty table at the back of the room to sit. Deryk and Brenan were at soccer practice, which made me realize that I was going to enjoy dating a jock. Practices and games provided mandatory time apart. Instead of asking for 'me time', all I had to do was wait, and then enjoy.