Chapter Forty-Seven

"Where'd you go, Little Star?"

I opened my eyes and saw the blackness in Deryk's eyes as he watched me. Reconnecting with reality burnt an imprint upon my soul. The light had faded from my skin and the rain had left my hair, growing restrictive in a mass of soggy tangles. I knew I could move, but first I needed to get my bearings. Somehow, I knew the light from the lamp would still protect me.

"How?" I murmured and found my voice clear, strong. Painless. "How are you Deryk? How can you go in the light during the day, but not now?" Was that why he hadn't come in when we brought my mother to the hospital?

He stood, turning his back to me while walking away, gesturing with both hands. "Ahh. Well, you see, unlike angels, mortals don't need to be asked before Darkness can possess their shell. But this boy? He begged for it."

He turned, his eyes darkening with glee. It was like the happier he was, the murkier they became. I felt my stomach roll as I turned onto my side, never taking my eyes off Deryk. Slow, steady movements made while he was occupied with gloating were my only chance to surprise my way out of here.

"He wanted popularity and friends and enough coordination on the field to make him a star. I simply... facilitated his achievements." He clapped his hands together and then spread them wide. "Unfortunately, I can't go into that light whilst I need to be so close to the surface of my shell in preparation to take over yours."

"I'll kill myself if it means keeping you from me," I growled. "What did you do with him?"

"Deryk?" he turned back and looked down. Then he shrugged and winked at me. "Oh, he's here. Just, well, he's sleeping right now. But I'm not a tyrant. I let him have his moments, like receiving praise from his teammates after I've won them their games or making out with your friend." He sighed. "I don't understand the last one, but whatever. He enjoys her body enough not to fight for control, and that makes our little union easy to maintain. So, while your friend was a nuisance, she at least filled a purpose, and all was not a complete waste."

"You're sick." I practiced moving my fingers with ease.

He pointed to his chest as though surprised, his eyebrows scaling his forehead as he mouthed, "Me?" His laugh was raised from Hell. "I'm Darkness! What more do you expect?"

"You don't have to lack class to be evil."

"I take it you're beginning to feel better? Oh well, I guess I'll need some help then."

He nodded behind me and I could feel the air get thicker, the light from the lamp growing less illuminating. Sucking in a deep breath, I glanced over my shoulder and felt my stomach roll as a shadow emerged to block the way behind me, blocking everything. I couldn't smell anything, like I was stuck in a void. Somehow, the lack of being able to sense the hot springs made the darkness—both literal and... whatever Deryk claimed to be—even more sinister. More real.

The only way to leave would be through the maze or roses. Neither guaranteed I'd find freedom, even if I managed not to get lost or pricked to death by thorns. But both options were better than staying here, playing the waiting game until sunrise.

"How about you make it two-on-two instead?" Mike asked as he rounded the corner from the parking lot and jumped the four-foot stone fence like it was a four-inch hurdle.

Talk about timing.

Deryk shrunk from Mike's golden glow, already at full shine. Finally, I realized the glory of his beauty, and I immediately wanted to step into his light. It would be an intimate experience, I knew. Like trading souls. David said he would come. He'd just said to hold on until he could arrive, and now Mike was here. My heart flipped with possibilities.