Chapter Twenty-One

I ran all the way to Royal Academy, bypassing the school and the spot where David had died. It was hard to see in the dark, impossible to think of the shadows as anything but danger. So, I closed my eyes and ran full-out, following the path with only my memory as a guide until I was near the clearing.

Gasping for air, I snapped my eyes open when my feet settled onto the field, needing to see to avoid tripping over the ruts. I slowed my pace and walked into the clearing in the woods, darting my eyes into every crevice to make sure that I was alone, feeling like I could finally breathe again when I heard nothing. Logs circled a spot where ten or so trees had fallen like chairs, and I took a seat, bending at the waist so that I could rest my elbows on my knees and place my head in my hands.

Was I going crazy?

It's what Suzie had thought. I'd tried hard to discount the notion—it was just the trauma, aftereffects of what I'd seen—and reasoned that I would get back to being normal once the adrenaline stopped surging. But then I had heard them. Or, at least I thought I had, and it was like I was so lost that I didn't exist. How could I get back to something that couldn't be found? Maybe I was already so broken I heard what I imagined they were thinking? I mean, that's what happened with Suzie. There was no other explanation.

I can't read minds.

There was no way. It just wasn't possible.

A twig snapped behind me and I dropped my hands from my face to look up, holding my breath. The regular beats my heart had resumed sped back up. I edged across the log, away from the crunch, and prepared to flee. Another snap had me halfway to my feet, but then a face appeared from behind a tree.

"Alyssa?"

I slumped down and sighed. "Go away."

Mike stepped into the clearing, uncertain with his approach. He walked the outer edge of the circle of logs, darting his eyes around before they settled back on me. I watched him out of the corner of my eye and hoped he wouldn't notice, but he paused, narrowing his gaze. He looked behind him and back to me, and then sat down on the log across from where I had chosen.

"Were those the ones...?" He leaned forward to rest his elbows on his knees and furrowed his brow.

"Yeah." I nodded, raising my chin to lift my face to the sky. Closing my eyes, I sighed, nodding again. "Those are the idiots who attacked David and me."

"Are you okay?"

"No. Not at all." I laughed, the sound dry and hollow. Opening my eyes, I lowered my head and met his gaze, holding it for almost a full minute. "You didn't have to come after me."

"I know."

"How did you find me?"

Mike smiled. "That was easy." He looked around the clearing and said, "You're always talking about this place and how much you loved it as a kid."

"I haven't been here since before David died." I hugged my knees to my chest and rested my chin on top. It wasn't cold, yet I felt frozen. "Is that stupid?"

His gaze settled on me again and he shook his head, his voice low as he said, "Never."

I put my forehead on my knees and exhaled. "It feels like I'm being silly. I have no reason to stay away from the woods, but I don't know. It's like I blame them or something, which is ridiculous."

"It isn't ridiculous."

Looking back to him, I lifted my eyebrows and gave him a half-smile. "This would be easy if you stopped making me sound sane."