Chapter Fifty

There can't be many people who can tell the difference between dreams and reality, but I knew where I was before I opened my eyes. The weight of my problems and all that I didn't understand lifted, like there was no such thing as sad or angry or confused. Just happy and amazed, weightless.

Opening my eyes, I stared at my reflection in the diamond-like wall, and the spotlight behind me with only its clear blue eyes was revealed. "I take it you know what happened?"

"Even better." He smiled, crinkling the corner of his eyes. "I saw it happen."

Turning to face him, I crossed my arms so I wouldn't give into the urge to walk into his to be held. "Care to explain how it—whatever that was—happened?"

He laughed and it was like the ability to think ceased to exist. The room shimmered, his rumble echoing against the polished stones. I knew I couldn't stay, but I didn't ever want to have to go. Not unless I could bring him with me.

He motioned for me to sit beside him and I allowed myself to feel joy as his arm wrapped over my shoulder. I snuggled in until our warmth was shared and rested my cheek over his heart. If only we could press pause and forget the rest of the world.

"How did I kill the Darkness?" I whispered, staring at the floor.

"By accepting it."

"That really doesn't make sense." I laughed without humour. "I thought accepting it gave it power. That's what you said before. That when you accept Darkness, your light diminishes so that the shadows can inhabit your physical body."

"It does," he agreed, and his thumb began to rub my shoulder, like it was so natural to do, he didn't realize he was doing it. "If one of my kind accepts Darkness, their light diminishes as they are disconnected from His Glory. You aren't one of my kind."

"So, I don't get to have wings?"

He laughed, lifting his hand to rub my hair, and then placed it back around me. "Sorry, no, you won't get those." He paused, growing serious. "I could make you some wings, but you'll have to promise not to try to fly."

I was too comfortable to hit him but laughed. "That sucks." I had been looking forward to it. "So, if I'm not like you, how come it needed me to accept it? Why do I have a light or whatever, if not from Him? Deryk said they don't have to ask to possess a mortal, but the shadow wouldn't take me until I accepted it. Why? And what happened to Deryk?"

"Is that all you want to know?"

Pulling away, I shifted, sliding across the floor so that we could sit facing each other. "Don't mock me. Not everyone can live in dreams and somehow be all-knowing. I can't see everything you do. So, I have questions. Those are just the start."

"Well, Deryk is gone," he said. "Don't worry, he'll have no shadow like Brenan had. We prepared for that this time since we hadn't known it was possible before. It explains a lot about why we can never get ahead of Darkness."

"And the light?"

He sighed, looking up to the ceiling. "Your light didn't diminish because you aren't like us. Darkness needed permission because, while you are mortal, you have a light inside of you that mortals do not possess. It's always shining."

"Yeah, okay." I rolled my eyes. "I'm gonna need more than that."

"You have a pure soul."

"Uh huh, and what does that mean? Because seriously? I'm no saint." Looking down, I lifted my hand and began ticking off points on my fingers. "I curse, I feel hate and anger, and I'm always jealous of the Richie's at Royal. How is that in any way pure?"