Chapter Twenty-Four

The door swung open, and I had to step to the left to avoid being hit. The sun was warm, but the wind was fierce, and the door was pulled right out of Raffy's hands. While he used two fists to close it, I snuck around him and away from the gusting assault.

"I can't believe you still run with winds like this," he said, latching the door and turning to look at me.

"Meh." I shrugged and winked in his direction. "Consider it resistance training."

I started to unzip my jacket and saw his eyes follow the movement, then vetoed the idea. Pervert. His eyes fell with the motion of my hand.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, looking back up. "Taking my shift?"

"Do your eyes work?" I tilted my head to the side and gestured to my body. "Seriously, how do you ever have money when you never work?"

"I sell drugs to children." He smiled, shrugging with one shoulder.

"That's..." With a shake of my head, I started walking to the front. "You are fishy, but that's bad taste. Not funny, Raffy."

"Oh, trust me, I know. I hate having to wait for allowance day. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been stiffed because someone forgot to make their bed."

"You're sick." Glancing over my shoulder, I rolled my eyes as he raised his arms to his sides and tilted his head to the ceiling to shout.

"Only for you, Baby." Straightening, he puckered his lips and kissed the air, running up behind me like he was trying to nestle in against my neck, just below my ear.

"Stop it." I laughed, my voice shrill as I squirmed away from his touch. Side-stepping to the right, I shook my hand in his face, but laughed.

"Be careful you don't get a cup of coffee in your face," Gabe warned from behind the counter of the concession. "The liquid isn't bad if it's not hot, but the rim hurts like a bit—"

"Oh, my God." I rolled my eyes. "I should have just stayed in bed."

"Want company?" Raffy grinned and braced his hands against the counter behind him to hoist himself up. Swinging his legs, he winked. "I don't disappoint."

I narrowed my eyes. "I'd rather get myself a toy."

Gabe laughed and moved to stand beside Raffy's perch on the counter. They were both in good moods, looking at me with sparks in their eyes, and I shifted my weight, suspicious. Their identical, penetrating blue eyes that swirled with laughter made me want to run away before the questions niggling at the edges of my mind penetrated my conscious, and I asked something I would later regret.

Blue-eyed boy, light and dark, prepare.

Was one of them the blue-eyed boy I'd written about?

"Your stuff is still upstairs where you left it," Gabe said before I could formulate an answer to the unspoken question still swirling in my head.

"So, you aren't here to work for me?" Raffy's shoulders slumped and he stopped swinging his legs.

"Sorry, Raffy, but I'm not dressed for work." I shrugged, casting a glance to the restaurant. "Besides, if those kids keep stiffing you your drug money, you'll need the hours."

"Drug money?" Gabe jerked his head to glare at Raffy, incredulous. He looked back at me and asked, "What drug money?"

"Come on, Aly," Raffy said, leaning forward. "There's this girl..."

"There always is with you." I tilted my head and rolled my eyes at Gabe. "I don't even know how you get a date being such a pervert, but whatever. Simple fact is, I'm not working today. I don't want to."