Chapter 4: Caleb

"Hey, have you seen Meg today?" I ask AnnaLyn at her locker.

"No, I haven't. Do you think she's okay?"

"I don't know. I tried texting her but she didn't answer." I say, sadly.

I follow AnnaLyn to her next class.

"Where do you think she is?" I ask her.

"I honestly don't know. I just hope she's okay." She walks into her class.

***

The whole time during and after school, I'm worried about Meg. She hasn't answered her phone. I was nervous when AnnaLyn called me.

"Did you hear anything about Meg?" I ask.

"Yeah, she's fine. She's at her dads for the week."

I am so relieved. I don't know what i was afraid of, but I'm just glad shes okay.

"Can you come over? I need help with math again." I say. AnnaLyn agrees and comes into my room a little bit later.

"Hey." She says, standing in the doorway. I look up and smile. She's so beautiful. She turns down my music but I don't care.

"No wonder you can't concentrate." she says.

"Well, music usually helps me concentrate." I chuckle and show her the problem I'm stuck on. She explains how to do it. I love how smart AnnaLyn is. It just makes me love her more.

"I'm glad Meg's okay." I say.

"Yeah me too, but why wouldn't she answer her phone?"

"Maybe it's dead. Or maybe she forgot it." I say, hopefully I'm right.

"I hope so. Well I'll see you later." She says and stands up. I can't resist it.

I stand up and hug her. She smells like roses, funny since that's her last name. I don't want to let go but I do.

"Bye." I say and she leaves.

***

Meg texted me a week later that she had her baby and she decided to keep him. I told her I couldn't wait to see him. She said I could come over anytime and visit.

***

I take a deep breath and walk towards Victoria. She smiles at me and leans in for a kiss but I step back. She looks at me funny but I don't care.

"Victoria," I take another deep breath. "Victoria, I don't think we're gonna go very far. I don't love you enough and I'm sorry about that but I just don't feel it." She starts to cry.

"Caleb!" I hear AnnaLyn's sweet voice. I turn and hold up a finger, telling her to wait.

"I'm sorry, but I..." I'm shaking. I know Victoria's angry side and I really don't want to see that again. I just say it before I think too hard about it. "I love AnnaLyn more."

She nods and heads to the bathroom. Typical.

"Well that was fun." I say as I walk to AnnaLyn.

"What'd you do?" She asks me, looking at the bathroom. I guess she hears Victoria sobbing her eyes out in there.

"I broke up with her. I never really liked her anyways." I say. She looks at the bathroom again.

"I'll go talk to her." she says, walking into the bathroom.

"I wouldn't do that." I say but she's already gone. I try to listen as much as I can without looking like I'm trying to hear girls pee.

"Victoria?" I hear AnnaLyn say.