Chapter 12: Caleb

I feel like I can't move, yet my chest moves up and down, proving that I can. My mind races, it's wheels turning rapidly. I close my eyes and see AnnaLyn, smiling so innocently.

But then I hear her swear, and see her kiss Jackson, and see her stumble, drunk, across the room with Jackson to a bedroom.

I open my eyes, I can't stand it.

Even though I'm not cold, I shiver when I think of what she could be doing now. I pull the covers of my bed over me. What does Jackson have that I don't?

My phone rings. Secretly hoping it's AnnaLyn, I will myself to look at the bright screen. On it reads, "Victoria." I furrow my brow in confusion, she hasn't talked to me since we broke up. Just because I'm curious, I answer.

"Hello?" I say into the phone.

"I'm surprised you answered." Victoria says. She sounds different, more solemn.

"Well, it's not like I hate you."

"Well that's good." She pauses. "Can we talk?"

"Sure what's up?"

"I mean like in person."

"Oh." I say, looking at my alarm clock to look at the time. Even though it's dark in my room, it's only 2:30 in the afternoon. "What time?"

"Now? I hope you aren't doing anything."

"Nah, I'm free." But I really don't want to get up. I see no point. Especially if it's for Victoria.

"Okay, wanna meet me at the park?"

"Uh sure. I'll see you there."

"See ya." She says and I hang up.

I really don't want to get up, but I also don't want to think about AnnaLyn anymore, and this could maybe distract me from her.

"Mom I'm going for a drive." I say after I walk up the stairs.

"You're going to you're going to leave me all alone?" She gives me a pouty face and I remember that my dad left for a business trip earlier today.

I smile at her. "Only for a little while."

***

I arrive at a nearby park, Victoria sits on the grass, legs crossed. I walk over to her.

"Hey." I say as I sit next to her, keeping my distance.

She only looks at me with a sad smile,

"What's going on?" I try to sound as worried about her as I can but my voice only sounds tired.

She twists a ring in her fingers. "You know Jackson right?"

I clench my jaw when I hear his name. "Yeah why?"

"I caught him cheating on me. He doesn't know that I know, but I saw him." She says sadly, looking down.

I stare at the grass by my feet. "With who?"

Victoria looks at me angrily. "AnnaLyn." She spits it out like the name is bitter in her mouth.

I look away. I don't know what to say. Victoria sniffs.

"That girl has taken everything from me." She says angrily, but her voice is thick with emotion. "First she took you, and now she's taken Jackson." She puts her face in her hands and sobs.

Even though I don't like her, I still care for her. "Hey..." I say quietly. "It's okay." I hesitantly put my arms around her in an act of comfort, not love. She leans into me, her face in my neck, and cries.

I run my fingers through her hair and rest my head on hers. I wait until she calms down, then press a kiss to her head, realizing I miss this.

I miss having someone to hold. Someone to love.

***

I don't know how long it has been when I finally say, "let's go to my house."

She nods and I help her up. She wraps her arm around my waist and I remember all the times that we would come here, go on a walk together, play on the swings together.

I want that.

I need that.