Chapter 14: Caleb

A/N hey guys! I hope you're enjoying my book:) I put a song on here just to try it out. It's actually a really sad song. I suggest you listen to it because it's really good and I love it. Thanks for reading!:)
***

"I'm assuming we're back together, compared to the way we're sitting so close." Victoria says to me.

I shrug. "I guess so." But I don't believe it.

We sit close on my couch, watching tv.

My mom calls down from upstairs, "time to eat!"

We get up and walk upstairs, my mom is setting the table.

"It's so nice to see you, Victoria. It's been a while." My mom says to Victoria.

"It's nice to see you too, Mrs. Roy." Victoria replies.

"Tonight, we are having roast beef." My mom grins at us. That's Victorias favorite meal that my mom cooks.

In the middle of the meal, the phone rings. My mom gets up to get it. I listen carefully I the one-sided conversation.

"Hello?" My mom listens for a second. "This is she. How may I help you?"

She glances in my direction, her hand going to her mouth, her lips turning into a frown. "Is he alright?"

My stomach turns. Is who alright?

There are years in my moms eyes and her voice is thick with emotion. "Thank you. I will be there in a minute."

She hangs up the phone and stands, her back to me and Victoria, gaining her composure.

"We have to go to the hospital. I'll explain in the car." She rushes to the car. I look at Victoria, who looks just as confused as I am. She follows my mom and I'm close behind her.

"So what's going on?" I ask when we are on the freeway.

"Your father has been in a car accident." Her voice is unsteady, like she's trying not to cry. "The police don't know how he is doing, but he's going to the hospital in an ambulance right now."

My heart drops to my stomach.

"How bad was the crash?" I ask.

"15 cars. It was really bad. Five people are dead, seven are severely injured." My mom says.

"Wow..." Victoria says under her breath.

"The police believe it was caused by drunk driving." My mom says.

I shake my head. This can't be real.

***

We arrive at the hospital a couple minutes later. We rush inside, my heart pounding.

We walk up to the lady at the counter. "Hi, I'm here for-" my mom starts, but the doors behind us open and..

"Mom." I manage to say.

I can't even recognize him. His skin is torn and covered with a black substance, like the car was on fire. A nurse holds an oxygen mask against his face.

"Broken neck, ribs, leg, and multiple fingers. Possible brain damage-" I hear one of the nurses say as they push my dad quickly down the hall.

My mom screams, covering her face with her hands as she sobs. She nearly falls over, so I grab her and wrap my arms around her, my dads charred body flashing in my mind every time I blink.

***

The waiting room is silent. It's just my mom and I. I look at the clock, it's nearly midnight, marking five hours of sitting here, the image of my dad haunting me.

My mom hasn't said a word. Her eyes are glassy and distant. The corners of her mouth are turned down. She twists a piece of her hair in her fingers. She does that when she's stressed or nervous. Her nails are chewed to the skin.

I took Victoria home three hours ago, though it feels like years. Seconds feel like minutes, minutes feel like hours, and hours feel like days.

I sit up straighter when the nurse walks in. "The Roys?" She says, looking at my mom and I. I nod at her. "Follow me."

I count the steps to the room that has a window, which seems terrible compared to the way he looks. His skin is not so black but he still has the oxygen mask on his face, and an IV is in his arm.

I feel hollow. Sick.

"He's in a coma. Chances are high that he will wake up soon." The nurse smiles sympathetically at my mom. "It will be a long recovery, however. His neck is broken, along with a couple ribs on his left side, the lower part of his right tibia, and some fingers on both hands. There is a small chance of brain damage, which we will find out soon after we do some tests."

My mom makes a sound that is like a mix between a groan and a squeal when the nurse talks about possible brain damage.

She slowly walks to my dads bedside, like if she goes to fast, he will never wake up.

I just stand, only able to hear my heartbeat. I see the hospital room, my mom, my dad, the nurse. Yet I stare at nothing.

My phone rings.

At midnight.

I answer without looking at who is calling. "Hello?" My voice is quiet, strained.

"Caleb?" He voice sounds upset, like the person has been crying. "It's AnnaLyns mom. I just got a message from the police. She's been in a terrible accident."

"Oh no.." My heart stops.

"Where are you?" She asks me.

"At the hospital." I say.

"Oh. Did you already know?"

"No. My dad was in the same crash."

"Oh honey. I'm so sorry." She pauses. "Will you go check on AnnaLyn? I can't make it to the hospital. I don't mean to take you from your dad but I just want to make sure she's okay."

"Of course. I guess I'll call you back. What room?"

"Level 2, room 229. Thank you Caleb."

"Yep."

And I run.