III | Decisions

You were in your room with the tablet device looking through the pictures of the pyramid. The images and discovery alone was remarkable. You were still processing this event. You weren't going to lie though, the cold for was not your forte, however, you were still trained to cope in it. This was your time to finally do something and use your skills to your advantage out there.

A knock on your open door interrupted your pondering mind and you looked up to see Maxwell. "I don't mean to intrude." He said with that straight face if his.

"You're fine. What can I do for you Mr. Stafford?" You asked politely and placed the tablet aside on the bed.

"I would like you to reconsider taking lead position on the ice. Weyland has a lot of trust in you." He started.

"I get that, but I really don't think it is a good idea." You interjected before he said anything further.

"I understand. I do find this to be a bit of a jump, especially for you."

"Perhaps if someone else were to be the guide with me, then I could do it." You then added on as if it were to lessen the pressure and imply you would feel more comfortable if specifically Lex came along.

"We will see to it." He said and began to turn to walk out, but then paused. "I read your file. It was impressive." He commented and left it at that as he walked out closing the door behind him. With a sigh through your nose you sat there for a good moment before you stood and walked out of your room. Perhaps you should see what Weyland had planned.

With a little guidance from some of the people around, you found your way to his office. Before you knocked you heard voices on the other side; it sounded like Lex, Weyland, and not too clearly, Maxwell. It seemed that there was a dispute about ice time as far as you could make out. Not exactly ice time, but from what you heard it had to do with whoever was to lead the team to the pyramid and back. You continued to listen almost forgetting what you were there to do, and then the door opened. You met Lex's eyes.

"Lex." You said in short surprise.

"Y/n. I suggest you rethink going on this expedition." She commented with a serious tone and then walked off. You peeked inside the office seeing Weyland at his desk and Maxwell beside him both looking at you. They both looked as if they expected good news from you about leading the team, but you decided against going inside as you became more interested in talking to Lex yourself.

"Hey, wait." You followed behind and caught up next to her. Lex didn't say a word until she glanced at you.

"I get why you don't want to lead everyone on this trip. Like you said, no one is ready." You began with the obvious.

"It's not easy to be the one person people count on to keep you alive." Lex stated. Hearing it just like that made it sound somewhat scary. From your experience, you put fears aside because in order to survive you have to be clear and calm, but sometimes you have to be human.

"Ice isn't even my major area. I just know well enough to get by." You admitted.

"Then why does Weyland consider you as an alternative?" She asked and faced you as she paused right at a door that seemed to lead outside the ship based on the chilling air that seeped through.

"I don't know how to put it, but let's just say I have my own special areas." It's not very common when someone such as you with an outstanding IQ and capability comes around in this job. You knew better than to go out of your way though.

"I guess that means you're still going." Lex said before she turned and opened the door to the outside and you followed behind. She walked to the railing and paused a little ways from it as she looked out at the northern lights. You lit up when you saw this scenery. It was beautiful. You had never seen such beauty in nature like this before. In other words, you had never came out to the north and saw the northern lights. You were standing just slightly behind Lex when two other's arrived.

"It's in the upper atmosphere. Streams of protons and electrons from the sun being deflected by the earth's magnetic field, causing a solar radiation storm." That voice and accent was distinctly Miller without needing to see his face. You looked over to him when he spoke, and then examined the sky once more during his break down of what it is really going on to cause the northern lights.

"Shackleton called Antarctica "the last great journey left to man". It's the one place left in the world that no one owns. It's completely free." Lex spoke, which you made note of regarding the last thought you had about Antarctica being free.

"Me, I'm sort of partial to the penguins." You smiled lightly at her comment.

"I wish you'd reconsider coming with us, Lex." Miller said as you looked over. "Come on, don't make me pull out pictures of my kids again."

"Your kids aren't that cute." You couldn't help but to laugh a bit at the comment.

"What if we got pictures of other people's kids?" You then turned to look at Sebastian. You weren't directly between him and Lex, so it wasn't awkward for them to talk.

"Want my advice?" He nodded with a hum as he seemed to listen closely to Lex.

"Stay on the boat." You looked from him to Lex and almost began to overthink going on the trip. If there is one thing you learned in decision making, it's that you never overthink.

"Okay. Let me ask you something. Do we stand a better chance of surviving with you or with the number-two choice?" Sebastian asked and you looked over at Lex once more just before a door opened and a voice appeared.

"Miss Woods, your helicopter's refueled.
They're waiting for you." Everyone had turned to look at Rousseau.

"Lex," you said to grab her attention. "If you stay, I could help. Like, an apprentice or something." You suggested. "I know maybe it would be best to be the solo leader, but considering the circumstances I want to help and I'm ready to as long as I have guidance." She seemed as if she were going to give it a thought, though you could not be so sure.