IV | Preparation

"Everybody, listen up! Gather round." That voice, you knew belonged to Lex, caught your attention as you looked up her way. You had been looking over the so-called pyramid on your tablet again, though distanced yourself from the others. You had your share of people questioning your curiosity, so you didn't want to have people suspicious about it now. Without wasting time you switched the tablet off and walked forth.

As you made your way over, you decided to stick by someone you had grown to be acquainted with, that someone being Sebastian. It would be less awkward compared to standing alone, nor did you want to see as if you were too good to be near anyone.

"Told you she'd stay. She can't resist my animal magnetism." Miller had commented and you held back a small laugh as you smiled and shook your head. You weren't standing by the two so closely, but it was close enough for conversation. It wasn't the time for small talk, however.

"Laugh it up, Miller. Laugh it up."

"Gentlemen?" Lex reclaimed their attention as well as yours before she proceeded to begin.

"It is my job to keep you alive on this expedition, and I need your help to do that.
Since I don't have time to properly train you,
I'm laying down three rules.

One: No one goes anywhere alone, ever.

Two: Everyone must maintain constant communication.

Three: Unexpected things are gonna happen.
When they do, no one tries to be a hero."

"Understood?"
She eyed everyone as if for confirmation, you could see the sort of impression of that of a leader in her eyes you nodded her way.

"Understood?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good."

After the short amount of silence, everyone carried on preparing to leave. You glanced at your tablet once more before switching it off as Sebastian had spoken.

"Are you ready for the trip?"

"As ready as anyone can be, I guess."

"You said this was your first. I don't blame you if you're nervous."

"I'm sure everyone is nervous about this trip specifically. A pyramid under ice? That sounds like an invitation to death."

"Well, it's a good thing Weyland invited you and Lex."

"I guess it is." You smiled widely.

After short talk with Sebastian, the voices of the others were more noticeable to you as everyone readied to move out.

"Move the trucks out on the ice."

"Move that."

"Okay, let's move."

——————————————————

Whether it is fortunate or unfortunate was up to you, but you had ended up riding the way with Miller.

"You're y/n, right? I'm Graeme Miller." He held his hand out for you to shake from beside you and you accepted with a small smile.

"Yes, I'm guessing Weyland really put me out there."

"He did." Miller smiled widely. "But it's a good thing, I presume."

"I suppose so. I just don't want anyone thinking of me having some sort of privilege or anything. I'm just here because it's finally my chance, but I have contemplated over staying on the ship." You looked towards your lap as you fumbled with your mittened fingers.

"Why is that?"

"The mission itself, I guess. It's exciting and all, but it's intimidating. Especially the way Alexa had talked and it made me wonder, what if." You shifted your eyes over to meet his own.

"It must sound weird." You shook your head as you adverted your gaze back to your lap.

"No, no I get it. It's normal to overthink, or think it over a second or third time for a beginner. I'm sure we all have each other's backs here." Miller assured you. You looked over at him once more, a more appreciative smile lit across your lips.

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind."

"No problem, would you mind if I?" He held his camera up suggesting to take a picture with you. You laughed softly and didn't reject as you leaned forward and he leaned more towards you with the camera upwards, a wide smile bright across your faces.

——————————————————

"Hold it, guys."

Someone whistled as a signal, "Keep those engines running!"

"Set it down."

"Move over a little further."

"Connors."

You stood at the near edge of a cliff beside Weyland as you took in the view of the abandoned town ahead. The cold atmosphere burned your face, but you had been too excited to care.

"It's an abandoned whaling station.
According to your satellite imagery, the pyramid is located directly beneath it." Lex spoke, and you glanced over to see how Weyland was taking it all in.

This was it. This was happening.