4. Now what

I started to feel empty, it was hard to imagine I would most likely never see Chris again, he might not even remember me that long, who knows how many flight buddies he had before me... his voice pulled me back to reality "So Ava, how long are you staying in Florence, do you have a nice hotel?" "I don't really have any set plans, I just figured I'd see what happens when I get there and just move on somewhere else when I get bored of the city. How about you, busy schedule after Rome?"

He seemed surprised by my answer "We have a very busy schedule, it's only the start of the press tour and we will travel all over for about 3 months before the premieres in London, New York and LA." He seemed to take a break to think about what he was going to say next, not sure what my reaction would be.

"And, how set are you on Florence as a first stop, ermm, any, any chance I can convince you to join me in Rome first? No worries, obviously you get your own room and you can do whatever you want whenever, but... you could, you know, hang out with me a little more? Meet some of the cast of Civil War as well, I don't really feel like traveling to Rome on my own and... well... you're really nice company and... you know, I feel like we could be really good friends if we get to know each other better?"

I couldn't believe my ears, was THE Chris Evans, Captain America, asking me to come with him and keep him company?? He took my silence as a bad sign however "I completely understand if you don't want to, it's really sudden and I'm sure you have plans in Florence... I just wanted to give you the option you know..."

"I would love to! Are you sure though? Do you really want me to hang around? And you want me to meet your cast mates?? That would be soo cool! I can't believe it!" His face lit up as I said that. I could see he was genuinely relieved and excited. "

I don't want you to get any wrong signals or anything, I'm not asking you on the weirdest first date ever, I just really enjoy your company and really think you could be an important person in my life with your knowledge and attitude towards life, you could probably really keep me grounded if at any point fame would get in my head. Don't get me wrong, you're really pretty and any man would be lucky to be with you but, first of all, I'm still technically in a relationship and if, or when that ends I need to take some time to get to know ME again and I think I could really use your hep with that as well... This is coming out all wrong. I'll try again."

I wanted to interrupt and save the poor man from struggling, but it was too hard to believe what he was saying, and I had no idea how I could properly react to it, so I just kept quiet.

"So, I guess it's more like a new best friend first date kind of thing?" I felt bad for him as he almost accepted the end of his relationship, which I really hoped he would be able to save.

"I would gladly be your new 'best friend on trial'" I said laughing, "it would be my honour." With that, we heard the stewardesses prepare the plane for landing and they were just as strict about Chris and his assigned seat as with taking off, so he switched seats again, after softly squeezing my knee.

We were the first ones led off the plane, again to make sure a certain Chris Evans wouldn't hold up the line by people on the plane who would want pictures and signatures. After a short discussion, the ground staff agreed to let me join as well.

Once off the plane we were led down a secret hallway into a nice waiting area where our bags would be dropped off without having to cross the crowded airport. We didn't talk during the short walk, so I decided to break the silence when we got in the waiting area.

"What's the plan now? Taxi? Train? Domestic flight?" Chris started laughing at the last option, "they don't really do domestic flights on the mainland here! It's 3 o'clock right now, there are two options, we wait for RDJ to get us with his jet, or we jump in a train later today, getting in Rome just after dinner, or later if you want. Do you have a preference?"

My mouth fell open at the mentioning of Robert Downey Junior and then even more when I heard 'his jet' I was still torn, we could walk around for 3 or 4 hours through the city of my dreams, made so much better by the company of Chris Evans by my side. The look in my eyes must have given it away, "You can go back here after Rome, or if your trip is done, I could even fly you out another time if you want? To make up for the destruction of your plans?" I got a big wink and puppy dog eyes at the end.

"Well so the choice is not that hard then I think? I don't think anyone I know would ever forgive me to let go of a chance to travel in anything the legend Robert Downey Junior has used." I chuckled. "When did you ask him?" I couldn't think of a time he could have contacted Mr Legend since we got off the plane. "I just happen to know he travels from here today" Chris said with a mischievous smile and wink.

"I'm joking," he added as he saw the confused look in my eyes. "He told me he was shopping in Milan yesterday and he will fly back to Rome today. When they cancelled my flight, I asked him to make a quick stop-over here and he agreed. He doesn't know you're joining though, but I'm sure he won't mind, as long as you don't have anything against flying together with, using your words, 'the Legend'?"

His eyes blinked with the excitement he knew I had to be feeling and he was right, I started jumping up and down "Oh my God, I'm going to meet Mr Robert Downey Junior on the same day that Chris Evans asks me to join him to Rome?? Is this a dream?? When does he get here? Can I call my mom to tell her?? I really should call her anyway to let her know I landed safely and I changed my plan. Can I tell her about you? Do you want to keep it a secret? That's fine too, I understand, I'm rambling, please make me stop talking... I can't believe I regretted leaving at the airport!"

Finally, Chris softly grabbed my arm and looked at me with a serious expression "Look, you can tell anyone anything, as long as they don't gossip it around it's fine by me. Your family and friends should know who you're traveling with anyway. There is no need to be nervous about RDJ, he is just a man who just happens to be a hell of a lot richer than most people. He really is one of the kindest people I know but he will test you a little so get your fangirling out now so you can make a good impression later. He arrived already so we just have to wait for the bags, and we can go to the hangar. You can eat something here if you want but I strongly recommend waiting for the jet, the food is a lot better there"

I got another big wink. "ThanksChris, really thank you, this is so amazing" I ran to him, embracing him in abig hug and feel his strong arms cross behind my back. It felt really good tofeel his warm body against mine. Before we got too comfortable, someone openedthe door and came in with our bags.