Part 4

By the time we went to bed last night, we had all the clothes we wanted bagged up and sitting in the foyer. There were a lot of dolls and costume jewelry, so we decided to take some of the dolls to the dry cleaners to see if they can be cleaned, and all the rest were put into Greer's bedroom.

I left the door open between our bedrooms, and she finally fell asleep.

I have so much on my plate, it's unbelievable. I need to hire a cleaning crew, landscapers, contractors for the remodel, and interior design artists soon, but I have other pressing issues, like clearing my schedule from any kind of travel for the next few months, clearing out my sister's apartment, buying Greer a whole wardrobe of clothes, getting her registered at school, taking her to see a pediatrician, but most of all, finding out who fathered that darling child.

I made the decision to keep the house, regardless of it's history or what happens with Greer. It's part of her family legacy too, and maybe someday, she would like to raise a family in this place. Maybe I can have some roots, even when I go back to traveling.

Greer assured me last night she didn't need any help with her bath. I'm thankful, because I have no clue what to do with kids. This morning, she even dressed herself, and her attempt at a ponytail was adorable, but I got her to agree to allow me to put her hair in a braid.

Clara Ann had breakfast ready, and we made it out the door quickly. We have a full day ahead of us, and I'm not even sure where to start.

We took a taxi and dropped off the dry cleaning first, then went to my sister's apartment. I was horrified at what I saw, and the way they lived. Everything my sister ever told me was a lie.

I could hear screaming babies, and the walls were like paper. We are in a very bad side of town, so I just want to do what we have to quickly, and get out of this place.

They lived in a one-room apartment that barely had running water, and what did come out of the faucet, was yellow or maybe brown. I couldn't be sure, to tell the truth.

We packed up photo albums, books, her favorite blanket, and toys. I offered the driver an extra hundred to carry the stuff downstairs. I'm going to call the salvation army to come get the rest.

This poor child had been raised in filth, and I can hardly believe my sister ever let it get this bad.

I hurried and got Greer out of this place, then called the Salvation Army from my phone, offering a donation on top of them cleaning out the apartment, and they accepted.

The cab driver ran us back to the mansion to drop everything off, then we went right back out to the stores to purchase Greer a suitable wardrobe. I didn't bother to take her old clothes from the apartment, so we bought shoes, socks, underwear, dresses, jeans, sweaters and pretty much everything we saw and liked.

Then we went and got matching mani-pedis, and Greer got a haircut. We were exhausted by the time we got home, and we still had to unpack everything.

Clara Ann knows of a service that I can call, and arrange to start hiring staff. Money is no issue as my grandmother left us a fortune, not to mention the money I earned myself from modeling.

I decided to hire a driver, and he can help me shop for a car. I haven't driven in years, and I don't want to take a taxi every single time we have to go somewhere in the city. I'll consider buying myself a car in the future, but for now, I think a driver would be best. I want one that can also act as security.

I called the service, and they set up interviews over the next few days. Then I needed to decide on a school quickly, she's been on spring break luckily, but I need to have this done by next week.

I then called a few contractors, and they will be dropping by to get information for their bids. Today was productive, but I'm exhausted.

Greer and I went through her mother's belongings. We started with photo albums, and I admit to sneaking a few out for my wallet. Then we found the diary, bingo!

Greer is still only saying short sentences, and doesn't talk much, but at least she is slowly starting to show more and more of her own personality.

I've noticed two things about this girl. The first is, that she seems way too independent and mature for her age, and secondly, we are a lot alike. She obviously shares my obsession with fashion, so maybe we will be okay. At least until I find her father.

When I finally fell asleep, I had a terrible dream that my grandmother was telling me I'm unfit for Greer, then it turned darker when I dreamed I found her father, and he was a junkie. He was taking her away, and I was screaming for him to let me have her back. I woke in a sweat, and decided to be extremely careful with what I find. If the man isn't worthy, then I will not contact him. Somehow, Greer and I will make this work without him.

  Somehow, Greer and I will make this work without him