Part 42

Five Days Earlier

Asher

I held Greer close while she tried to squirm out of my arms. "Aunt Maggie!"

She's tearing my heart to pieces. I'm screaming on the inside myself and want to stop that damn car, but I can't, I have a commitment to someone else.

Josie came outside and tried to calm her, but Greer screamed even harder.

"You won't help! Just like you didn't help mommy!" Greer pulled away and ran into the house.

What?

I looked at Josie, and she looked shocked. "What did she mean?"

"Nothing!" Josie ran into the house and to our bedroom, where she slammed the door.

I went to Greer's room and sat on the bed where she laid and hid her face in her blankets.

"Greer, she'll be back."

She didn't answer me.

"Come on Princess, talk to me."

"You let her go!" She yelled.

"Maggie felt that it would be easier for everyone if she took some time away. This is hard for her too."

"Why? Why didn't you make her stay, Daddy? I want Aunt Maggie, not the mean lady."

"Greer, Josie isn't mean. There are just certain rules she has, and we have to respect them."

"Aunt Maggie is better! I love her, daddy."

"I know, I do too, but.."

What did I just say?

I started into my daughter's eyes.

"Then why can't we be a real family?" She asked.

My mind is racing. I love her, and I just let her get in that car and leave. What if she doesn't love me? What if she does?

"Daddy?"

My mouth opened, then shut again. I have no words. A strange feeling came over me and my heart raced.

"Daddy, what's wrong?"

"I love Maggie," I muttered.

"Maybe you're the one making the mistake."

She said that, didn't she?

"Honey, please get ready for bed. There's something I need to do." I stood and walked aimlessly to the bedroom.

"Josie, open the door."

"I need some time." She said, and I could hear her sniffle.

"Josie, open this damn door before I tear it down."

She did, then walked over to the bed and sat down.

I have a bad feeling at the moment. "Please tell me Greer didn't already know you."

She looked up at me with guilt in her eyes.

"About six months ago, Diara called me and said she was in a lot of trouble. She owed money to someone, and she needed help. She gave me her address, so I went to see her. Greer was there, but hid behind the couch most of the time. She didn't say Greer was your daughter, but I had my suspicion."

"You didn't tell me, what the hell were you thinking?"

"She said I couldn't bring you into it, she said they would kill you because you're in your father's shoes now."

I can't believe what I'm hearing.

"I gave her the money, then called social services and reported her so I could at least help Greer." She wiped a tear from her eye.

"If you would have told me, we could have saved Diara. We could have protected Greer. You didn't say anything because you thought I'd choose my daughter over you. Is that right?"

She looked hurt when she looked at me. "You failed me, you failed my child, and you failed the girl who was at one time a very good friend to you."

She stood and paced. "I'm willing to accept your daughter, and even raise her as my own. I've dedicated myself to make this work for you." She cried.

"Yet, I don't love you." I responded.

"What?" She paused and looked at me.

"I love someone else, and I let her walk away." I'm half talking to myself.

"Diara's sister? That's sick, Asher."

I stood. "No, putting yourself ahead of a child that needed you is sick. You could have saved two lives that day if you would have told me. Josie, the wedding is off, and I'm going to Paris."

"What? No, you don't get to do this, Asher. I made a big mistake, but I didn't mean to hurt anyone." She kept crying.

"You're saying you didn't mean for this to happen? Josie, if I loved you I don't think I could even forgive you. The person you hurt most is my daughter. That's unforgivable."

"No, it's because that model threw attention your way. This isn't right, Asher."

I just stared at the wall still in shock of what I have finally admitted to myself. Josie is barely a second thought.

"Look at me, Ash!" I turned my head and looked at her while she cupped my face. "Don't do this." She cried.

"I'm sorry, but it's done. You can have the house, but give us a few weeks to move." I stood to walk out.

"Just like that, you're done? Here, take the house?" She mocked me.

"Either that or you can leave. I could buy five houses just like this one and not make a dent in my finances. I bought this because it was your parents home. I bought it for you, so keep it. I think Greer and I already have another home."

She picked something up and threw it at me, but I ducked. "On second thought, maybe you should go to a hotel until we are gone," I said, and walked out.

"I hate you, Asher!" She screamed as I walked down the hall, and I paused.

"I learned that when you didn't tell me about my daughter. You have thirty minutes to leave. I'll let you know when we've moved out."

"Daddy?"

"Come on pumpkin, you can stay up a little longer with me tonight."