Part 17

We went upstairs and got to work right after breakfast.  Matthew came back with the paint supplies, and we started painting Greer's playroom a lavender color.  I set up my phone with a speaker and turned on some music.

Asher and I worked on taping up the trim, then gave Greer a paintbrush to paint.  Asher and I rolled the paint on the walls, and it was just too awkwardly quiet.

"You're doing a really good job, Greer." I complimented her, and she thanked me in a soft tiny voice.

"Well, what about me?" Asher jokingly scoffed.

"Awe, do you need special attention?" I teased, and I heard Greer's tiny giggle.

"As a matter of fact, I do." He winked at Greer.

"Okay, good job, you're doing great."

"Awe shucks, thanks."

We kept painting, and "Hey Mickey" came on the radio. I looked at Greer with a sly grin.

I set down my paint roller, and took Greer's and set it down too.

"We're cheerleaders, Greer!"

I started to dance, and when she didn't, I took her hands and made her dance with me.

"Oh Mickey, you're so fine
You're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey,
Hey Mickey

Oh Mickey, you're so fine
You're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey,
Hey Mickey

Oh Mickey, you're so fine
You're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey,
Hey Mickey

I was singing, and Greer finally started dancing and laughing.  We were bouncing around and singing, and Greer was smiling ear to ear.

"Come on!" I took Asher's paint roller away.

"No, way!" He yelled, and shook his head no.

Greer and I kept dancing, and I picked her up to swing her around, but damn she's too heavy.

"You're silly, Aunt Maggie!" She laughed.

The song ended.  "See, you're an awesome dancer, but we need to work on Asher."

He started painting again, and I sang along to the songs playing on the radio.  He just smiled at me and shook his head.

Every once in awhile I would bend down to Greer and sing in her ear, then dance a little while I painted.

When we finished painting, we stood back and admired our work.  "Don't tell the painters downstairs, but we do a better job." I pointed out, and they agreed.

We cleaned everything up, then went downstairs for lunch.  We are all a mess with paint, and I helped Greer clean up, then we ate lunch.  She's starting to answer Asher's questions, so it's a good sign."

"What's your teacher's name?"

"Mrs. Jackson"

"Is she a fun teacher?"

Greer nodded yes.  "She lets us play a game at the end of the day."

"What kind of game?"

"Seven up,  Simon says, and sometimes we do the Hoky Poky."

They talked, and I'm so glad he's making progress.  After lunch, we walked to the attic and went through it one box and trunk at a time.

Greer picked a beautiful hand carved vanity with a mirror, and a big wardrobe that matched for her room. For the playroom, she picked out a velvet lounger, another wardrobe, dolls galore, a full-length mirror, a small table and chairs, and a desk.

We carried them out into the hallway with Matthew and Dario's help, then the guys moved her bedroom furniture downstairs.  Elle emptied out her drawers, and the old furniture came upstairs. 

"We will put the playroom together tomorrow after the paint dries, okay?" Asher asked Greer, and she nodded.

"Maggie, check this out," Asher called me over and showed me a small door that was behind one of the wardrobes.

"Does it open?"

"I don't know, let's see."

"It's jammed." He twisted the door knob and pushed, and it finally opened.

"Is there a light switch?" I asked, and Asher turned on his phone's flashlight.

"Yeah," he pulled on a cord, but nothing happened.  "It's blown."

"I'll go get a lightbulb."

I ran downstairs, then back up, and held his phone so he can screw in the bulb.

When he pulled the string, we all gasped at what we saw.

There was a safe the size of a closet, paintings that were dusty, but Asher told me not to touch them, and very old family photos.

"You need to have an art expert deal with those paintings.  Dusting them off could destroy them." He looked over at the safe.

"Whatever is in there must be important if they actually hid the safe." He said, and stared a moment.  "Maybe Dario will know how to open it for us."

"It's dirty in here." Greer pointed out.

"Yeah, it's dusty because there probably hasn't been anyone up here in years," I told her.

"Let's go get cleaned up for dinner, and talk to Dario to see if he can open it.  Greer, don't tell anyone else what we found, okay?"

"Okay, Aunt Maggie."