Part 27

Maggie

We exited the plane, and Matthew carried Greer. She fell asleep on my lap just a short time ago. Grant and Sena have their babies.

"This isn't Chicago. It's too warm for Chicago in the spring." I noticed. "Wait, there are no mountains in Chicago either."

"That's because we are in Virginia. We never planned to take you to Chicago. That was just a tactic we used for your ex. We have a secure facility here, and it's the safest place for us now. I should get a transmission from Dario soon."

After a three-minute car ride, we arrived at an underground facility. We were led to our own apartment, and I told Matthew to lay Greer down in my bed. Sena brought in some clothes for me and said she sent someone out for clothes for Greer.

"I'll be back once my little ones go to sleep, and we can talk."

I put on the sweats and tee Sena brought me, and I noticed whiskey over on the counter and poured myself a drink.

The prick Asher probably got himself killed along with Justin. Why do the men in my life always have to be so damn dumb? You're supposed to run away from gunshots, not toward them.

I wonder what Grant meant about Justin betraying me?

Thank God Vicky was out of the house when it all went down.

Dammit, the wait is killing me. Why in the hell did Asher do what he did? We need him, and he just went running into that mess. If he does survive and this is over, I'll have to say goodbye to Greer. I know he says he won't take her away, but I know what he means. He'll move her out of my house and into his, and I'll get to visit.

When this began, a mundane life with a child wasn't even a thought. I didn't want this, but now I want this more than anything. I want Greer in my home, and if that means I have to deal with her stubborn, snotty, asshole of a dad, then I'll do it.

Finally, there was a knock, and I was surprised to see Grant with Sena.

"I hope it's not too late," Sena said.

"Are you kidding? I won't be able to sleep now."

"You found whiskey?" Grant went straight for the kitchen, and Sena and I took a seat.

"Dario sent word. No casualties on our side, but Calabresi and his son were killed. Greer's dad took them out."

"Wait, Justin is dead?"

"Jack and Tony Calabresi are both dead." He said.

"Why? Justin was on our side." I started to cry. "Asher is alive?"

"Asher is probably already home with his girl, and yes, your ex is dead."

"His girl?"

They both looked at each other.

"Asher is engaged to be married. How do you not know that?"

Why do I feel more upset about that than Justin? I'm not going to answer her.

"Why Justin?"

Sena takes a deep breath, then leans forward and took my hand.

"Men like him and his father are known to place themselves in your life and gain your trust. I lived it for eight years. I didn't trust the one that did it to me, but I did at first. Justin, as you call him, played a game. He made you think he hated his father, but he was just as bad." Sena tried to comfort me.

"While you were packing, we interrogated him. I am so sorry to tell you that it was Justin giving your sister the heroine. He gave her the last doses that took her and your grandmother's lives. She was supposed to get your grandmother to sign everything over to Calabresi.

Justin was sent to L.A. to gain your trust and marry you. Then he would kill the old lady off, and you would get everything. You wouldn't agree, so they sent your sister in to find your Aunt Olivia. Your grandmother's friend, Clara Ann, made the mistake of keeping a diary, and it was found by Calabresi. That's how they found out about Greer.

When Calabresi found out Asher was in your house, they stormed it. They wanted to take out both you and Asher. Moretti has New York now, so you're safe. It was the old man Calabresi that tipped off Moretti, and his men betrayed Jack."

"Can we talk to Asher?"

He shook his head no. "We have a three-day policy. As far as we know, Asher ended it, but we need to let the dust settle."

"My sister really did take her and my grandmother's lives didn't she?"

"I'm sorry, but yes. That wasn't a part of their plan. Over all those years, they were actually just...slowly killing her." Grant said.

"That so easily could have been me," Sena said, and looked up at Grant.

"What's going to happen then?" I looked at Sena. "I've lost Greer to Asher and his finance haven't I?"

"He is her father, but I doubt he will ever keep her from you." She answered.

"You mean I get visits, and maybe some holidays if I'm lucky."

"I'm sorry, Maggie. I can see how much you love that child." She said.

"You know, I don't think Asher is prepared to raise her without you. I think he wants you both. Not just Greer, the same with you."

"I want them to be my family, but I want my life too. He's settling down with someone, and Greer deserves a stable family. I'll have to distance myself soon. Maybe do the photo shoot in Paris, then Morocco, and maybe Argentina."

"You have to do what's best for you. Asher will be an amazing father, so you need to decide what's best for you, Maggie." Sena squeezed my hand.

I laid in bed that night completely exhausted, but unable to sleep. Asher not once mentioned a woman. Not one damn time.