Part 9

Asher

I was about to call the woman when I got back to my office, but was surprised to see her on the sidewalk. I pulled my car over and approached. I wanted to speak in my car for privacy, but she refused.

She may resemble my sweet Diara, but she is nothing like her. Diara was sweet, bubbly, intelligent, and fun. This woman is spoiled, opinionated, vain, and fucking beautiful. Diara was beautiful too, but this woman is the kind of beautiful that makes her intimidating.

It's obvious there's not one centimeter on this girl that's not 100% natural. She only seems to be wearing mascara and maybe some lip gloss.

It doesn't matter how beautiful she is, her personality doesn't seem to match. She seems spoiled, and has that entitled attitude that makes her seem ugly to me.

Her car followed mine to the park, and without a word spoken, we walked to a bench and sat.

"Why am I here, Mr. Bianchi?" She asked.

"What do I need to do to eliminate myself as that child's father?" I asked.

She twisted her head quickly, and gave me a look that warned me that a shit storm is about to brew.

"You and I both know you aren't here to eliminate yourself as her father, her paternity isn't a question. You're here to inquire about establishing paternity. Don't play me as a fool, Mr. Bianchi." She said.

"I have not seen any proof that I'm that child's father." I snapped.

"You saw her photo, so don't play so naïve. You dumped my sister pregnant and alone. She raised that little girl on welfare, and had to worry if she could provide decent meals for that child, while you enjoyed a life of luxury." Her tone is harsh.

Now she's pissing me off.

"I walked into our home and found your sister fucking a man in my bed, so don't act like you know anything about me. That was the last time I saw her, and never has anyone mentioned a pregnancy. Your sister screwed me over, not the other way around. What exactly is it you want from me? Is it money?" I asked.

She stood. "You can go to hell! I have money, and I was doing you a favor so you could have your daughter in your life. Nevermind, I don't want a damn thing from you." She turned to walk away, but I stood and grabbed her arm. She spun around and looked at me.

"Take your goddamn hands off me, and never touch me again!" She yelled.

I pulled my hand away.

"You just want someone to take this burden off your hands. I looked you up and saw clearly the kind of lifestyle you lead!" I accused.

She smacked me across the face.

"Don't you ever refer to Greer as a burden! That little girl is an angel, and yes she deserves better than me, but I'm all she has left in this world. I'll put my life on hold if that's what it takes to give her some sort of stability. This has obviously been a waste of my time, so please don't waste anymore today."

She turned to walk away.

"Stop! You will listen to me, and listen real good. I will establish paternity, then I'll take responsibility for that child. She won't be a problem for you much longer, and you can get back to your party life. I'll have my attorney contact you with instructions for the DNA test." I yelled.

"You're not taking her away, I'll fight you with everything I've got. Your attitude proves you're not fit to be anyone's father!" She said

"You won't have a say in the matter, Miss Copella." I snapped back.

"Go to hell!" She yelled as she walked away.

Fucking hell!

"Wait!" She paused, but didn't turn around to look at me.

"At least tell me how she died." I needed to know.

She turned her head toward me, but didn't look straight at me.

"She killed my grandmother, then she killed herself. It was a murder-suicide."

She turned back around and walked away leaving me stunned and sick to my stomach. The girl I knew would never have done such a thing.

I yelled. "She didn't kill herself or your grandmother! She wouldn't have done that, dammit!'

She paused and yelled back, but didn't look at me. " I know."

Then she was gone.

The first thing I did that afternoon was call my attorney. I need answers, and I need them now.

Two hours later, I was sitting across from Paul Ireland explaining my situation.

"The man I caught her in bed with was the worst part, she got mixed up with Jack Calabresi. His family and mine go back generations, and it was my father who finally broke that bond. We have been free ever since, but finding him in my apartment, made me suspect that he was trying to work his way back to the family. My father was still alive at that point. He had his men investigate, and found out Calabresi was using her to get intel on my family." I said.

"Damn, how sure are you about the girl?" He asked, and I pulled the photo from my breast pocket and handed it to him.

He looked at it for a moment. "Those eyes are yours." He handed the photo back to me and sat back in his chair. I could tell his wheels were turning.

"You need more than just me on this case. We are talking about people who will stop at nothing to get what they want, and I doubt your girlfriend ever committed suicide. I'll set up a meeting with someone even more powerful than Calabresi. It may take a few days, because he doesn't live here in town. I'll let you know when to meet him, and his wife is one hell of an attorney too." He said.

He stands to shake my hand.

"Thanks for your help."

"It's no problem, but be careful out there, Asher. Maybe hire more security." He said.

"  He said