Part 35

Asher

Here I am staring at the outline of her body again as she showers.

"Could you hand me a towel, please?"

I smirked. "Not until you answer my question."

"You know I'm trying to be nice by asking."

"Then answer my question."

Just when I thought I had the upper hand, she proved me wrong when she opened the shower door.

"Shit! Dammit, Maggie!"

I turned away.

"What? You're the one invading my space." I heard her step out, and my heart beat against my chest. This woman pisses me off.

I walked back into the bedroom and she came out wearing her towel.

"What time will you stop by?"

She busied herself looking through her drawers.

"My flight leaves at nine, so it won't be long. Just write down the address."

"Fine, but I can't believe you're doing this to Greer. She thought you'd spend more time with her, and she's already heartbroken that you didn't call. Why are you so damn selfish?"

"Do you think this is easy for me? Are you fucking kidding me, Asher? I've been replaced, and you had no problem taking her from my home, then judge me for trying to move on with my life? I'm sick of you saying I'm the selfish one. You're the one that wanted to deny her at first and make me believe I'd be raising that girl, then you suddenly knew she was yours, and poof, she's gone. No, you don't get to play the guilt trip on me. Everything I've done has been for Greer. You've got her now, so let me live my life!"

What the fuck?

She stormed toward her closet. "If you don't mind, I'd like to get dressed without your eyes all over me! Leave the address downstairs and I'll stop by."

"Maggie, I never meant for you to get hurt."

"Get Out!" She cut me off when she screamed at me. The tears were flowing down her face, and I can't imagine leaving her now.

I stepped forward and tried to hug her, but she pushed me away. "Don't you dare touch me! I need you to go!"

"Maggie, I'm...I want.."

"I swear to fucking God, if you don't go right now, I'm hopping on that plane and not stopping over."

I turned and left, slamming the door behind me and storming out to my car. I got in and sat for just a moment.

"Fuck!" I punched the steering wheel.

I started my car and spun my tires when I took off. To top it off, I got pulled over and the fucking cop gave me a ticket. I was still shaking when I got home. I sat in my driveway and took several deep breaths to calm down before I see Greer.

How dare she think I replaced her? What the fuck am I supposed to do?

I finally made my way to the house, and Greer ran into my arms. "Daddy!" I'll never get tired of hearing her say that word.

"What's wrong daddy?"

"Nothing, I just need to go up and change. I'll be back down soon."

"Okay, daddy."

I went upstairs and shut the door behind me. I can smell food, so I know Josie is making dinner. I appreciate her efforts, but there's no way I could eat. I laid back in my bed and shut my eyes for just a moment. Maggie's tears haunt me. The way she screamed at me haunts me. This guilt is killing me and the last person I want to see walked into the bedroom.

"I'll be down in a bit. I just need some time alone."

She walked over and sat down on the bed. "Talk to me, Asher. You've not been right since this started, and do you realize how long it's been since you've even touched me? You need to let me in."

"Jesus Christ, Josie! I told you I needed some time alone. I don't need your shit right now!"

"Oh sure, I take off work to help with Greer, and this is how you treat me? She is an angel, and I love having her, but I won't live with a monster." She said with a shaky voice and stood. "You need to get your shit together for Greer and for me. I'm trying here, Ash, I really am, but you're making it pretty fucking hard."

"Then leave if you don't like it! I'm exhausted, and I just asked for a few damn minutes. I had a bad day, and all I want is a moment's fucking peace!"

"Fine, I'll go down and feed your daughter, and when you feel up to coming down and being her dad, we will be waiting." Now she starts crying.

I stood and gave her a hug. "I'm sorry. I know this is hard on both of us, and I appreciate what all you're doing, but it's all just so hard right now."

She placed her hand on my cheek and looked up at me. "We are in this together as a family. We can make this work, but you have to talk to me. I can't keep us afloat all by myself. I need you here 100%."

"I promise I'll try harder," I assured her.

She kissed me then went downstairs, and I got a shower and changed.

About an hour later the doorbell rang. Josie went to stand up, but I told her to sit back down and answered it myself.