Chapter 58

"Marriage!?" I shouted as I walked out of his bedroom.

"Yeah, it's legal for us here." Paul walked lazily behind me.

"You're high! You're on dope! There's no way you could mean this." I pointed furiously at him. Paul walked back into his bedroom.

Then I began pacing, filled with thoughts.

I have school and soon to be a career. My parents hadn't met him. Whether he meant it or not, he almost got my ex-boyfriend killed!

He stepped back out with a little red velvet box. I froze as I looked at him, not believing my eyes. So he did plan all of this?

"I'm at that age, you're at that age. Come on, baby, let's make it happen." Paul shrugged.

"Why would I get married to you?" I asked him while squinting. "That wouldn't even make sense!"

"Love never makes sense." Paul shot a smile and I scoffed. I stepped in front of him.

"I love living with you. I love being around you, and listening to your sports on the radio with you, and going places around the city. You showed me things I'd never seen before!" I told him and he grinned.

"You've showed me things I haven't seen before either." He placed his finger on the hem of my skirt and looked under it.

I slapped his hand and crossed my arms. "You're like a child!"

Paul stood up and pouted, opening up his arms. "In... my defense Patricia. I'm higher than the Empire State."

"So why would you tell me now? Why not wait until you were sober and reasonable?" I asked him as I began pacing again.

"Listen, I've been thinking about this for the longest. I just got up the guts to ask you to be my wife and here you are acting like I asked you to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge with me!" Paul furrowed his eyebrows. "You could've just declined."

"The fact you asked! I just want to know why you would want to marry me!" I said hectically.

"Because I love you, Patricia." Paul answered nonchalantly. I love you and he said it like any other thing. "I want to go up to the country and live there with a white picket fence and become those people we make fun of."

He stepped toward me and opened the black box. A gold ring with a small diamond in the center was revealed. "I want you to have my kids, Patricia." Then a mischievous smirk formed on his face. "I want to practice making kids with you."

I guess I lost my mind, because suddenly I was holding out my left hand. Paul slid the diamond ring on my finger.

"It's a simple one but..." Paul began but I wrapped him in my arms and kissed him. Afterwards he held my left hand and looked down. "Does it fit?"

"Yes it fits." I laughed, placing my left hand on his cheek and hissing him again.

"Be my wife, Patricia." Paul pulled my left hand off of his cheek and placed a kiss on it.

"I can't promise that." I honestly told him. A frown formed on his face. "But I'll be endowed to you... and we will see where it goes."

"Engaged." Paul smiles and kissed me again. "Let's play a game."

"And what game is that?" I asked him as my arms were wrapped around his neck.

"Honeymoon." He joked, flinging me over his shoulder.

I giggled as he playfully smacked my butt repeatedly, then he carried me back into the bedroom.

-

Paul and I moved our new TV set into the bedroom, and Paul squinted as he read the manual. 

"How do you get this machine to work?" He asked rubbing the back of his neck. By the time he looked up from the manual, I simply plugged it in then turned on the power knob.

Princess Elizabeth appeared on the screen, she wore a beautiful gown and cape.

"Oh right." Paul said as he nodded. "You're obviously the smart one."

I laughed as we both cuddled in bed, that TV set would be the second in our home. People finally began putting televisions in their bedrooms.

We watched intently on the black and white box as a priest slowly crowned Elizabeth. The crowd began shouting God Save The Queen!

Paul and I laughed as we shouted at the screen. "God save the Queen! God save the Queen!"

"The Queen seems like she thinks she's the center of the world." Paul smiled as we laid there together watching her take her victorious walk as queen.

"Do you think she believes in the Big Bang Theory?" I asked Paul softly. Elizabeth sat as high figures in society kneeled at her feet one by one.

"What's a Big Bang Theory?" Paul asked with furrowed eyebrows. Another man kneeled at Elizabeth's feet.

"It's the idea that the universe got really big." I told him. Elizabeth nodded as someone said something while kneeling.

"How big?" Paul asked.

"Hugeeee." I extended my arms while I laid next to him. "And then everything crashed together and went bang."

"That probably makes less sense than the Bible." Paul chuckled. "I have an easier time believing some big guy with a beard created us in 7 days."

"I know, I know, but scientists are saying it's likely that's how the universe was created." I smiled.

"If everything went bang then why are we here?" Paul asked me. I rested my head on his chest.

"Some molecules came together and created our solar system. And eventually people came into play." I explained to him. "And you and I were born. It's almost as if it's some kind of fate that brought us together."

"I grew up with Christian Science parents. They didn't believe in most medicines." Paul said softly. "They only believed in the power of God."

"Do you believe in that?" I asked with a risen brow. Paul was silent for a moment.

"I've accepted that science can be helpful to humans. But I'm not really religious. I do believe in a God." Paul explained to me.

"Do you believe God brought us together?" I asked as I glided my finger along his chest.

"Of course, baby. Every single, god, mythological character, concept, fairy, goblin, Santa Claus..." Paul listed on. "Whatever is making this world run, it brought me to you."

I looked at Paul and kissed him, and he rolled on top of me as we passionately necked.

The muffled audio of a choir melted into the room as Elizabeth took her final walk, and I closed my eyes as I gave into Paul.