Chapter 59

I stood on the stage of the auditorium and smiled receiving my diploma. My family wasn't able to make it to my graduation, but my friends clapped for me. Paul especially clapped his hands together with a smile.

I stepped off the stage and sat through the ceremony. I didn't feel any different that day, but I understood I accomplished something big. Most women didn't have diplomas, and I was able to get one as a black woman.

After the ceremony we congregated outside on the sidewalk, hugging each other with tears streaming down our face. The May sunshine beamed down on us as Betty  hugged me tightly.

"You're so amazing, I'll never forget you." Berry cried. "You need to come out to the Midwest to visit me."

"You're a Midwest girl, eh?" Paul asked, starting conversation. Betty nodded and they stepped aside to share in their pride of home.

Joan stood next to me, smiling. She finally had makeup on, and her hair was in her usual curled ponytail. Edward right behind her, smiling as Joan hugged me.

"It was a pleasure rooming with you for all those years." Joan nodded. "You're the smartest girl I know."

"Oh no, you're the smartest girl you know. You're Valedictorian!" I cheered and Joan smiled warmly.

"I'd never really met a girl like you before, Patricia." Joan nodded. "And I want you to know, I don't think I ever will again."

I hugged her tightly again, those were the nicest words anyone had said to me in a while. She held my hands afterwards, and her finger brushed over my ring.

"Patricia." Joan said with risen eyebrows. "What's this on your finger?"

"Well, I never got to tell you guys but..." I began and Paul turned around with a smile. Betty excitedly waited for what I'd say. "I'm engaged!"

A high pitched squeal came from somewhere in the crowd, and Helen rushed toward us. "I can't believe you got engaged and you didn't tell anyone!"

"It's only been a few months." I smiled as Helen grabbed my left hand.

"You did well, Paul!" Helen commended with a smile.

"I'm so excited for you, Patricia." Betty nodded. Paul held me close and kissed me, then wrapped an arm around my waist as we spoke to everyone.

"At least your guy is here, mine is at work." Helen frowned. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Is he overseas?" I asked and Helen shook her head.

"He's right down at Wallstreet. You see, he said it was imperative for him to be at work..." Helen began. Paul and I frowned at each other.

"Besides, I have news as well." Helen played with her fingers. Doris was talking to someone standing behind Helen, and I could see her glimpsing over to her every now and again.

Now they'd be split apart for good, college was over and they'd both go back to their normal lives.

"I'm with child." Helen smiled, although she wasn't as excited as a mother should be. Doris was shocked, she looked at her with an open mouth.

"Congrats." I smiled as I rubbed Helen's shoulder. Betty pulled Helen in for a hug, but it looked somber for what we just found out.

"I'm sure you'll make a great mother, Helen. Lord knows it." Paul smiled widely as his arm was wrapped around me. "What are you going to do career wise after the baby?"

"Well, Tim suggested I just stayed home actually." Helen said softly. My face fell as I looked at her, she seemed so unhappy in the eyes. "Yeah, it's no big deal. This diploma is all for nothing I guess."

No one knew what to say, there was a silence amongst all of us. The only thing you heard was the white noise of the crowd that surrounded us on that sidewalk.

"I can't believe you're engaged!" Helen forced herself to say to lighten the mood. "It's unbelievable!"

"Engaged?" A voice in the crowd asked. When we turned, Marlon stood there. He was in a tailored suit, and it was much higher quality than his suits of the past.

His hair was the way I liked it, styled but with his curls hanging on his forehead. He pierced his pink lips together as he looked between Paul and I. Paul stood his ground, pulling me close to his body by my waist.

Marlon was furious.

"Has this girl ever dated negros?" Francesca asked as she observed the spectacle.

Marlon lunged toward Paul, and pulled him by the lapels of his blazer. I stood aside as the girls gathered around me, Helen held one of my hands while Betty held the other.

"Hey, Marlon why don't you pipe down?" Paul asked as Marlon held his jacket, but Marlon threw a punch.

"You know what, you're just achin' for a breakin'!" Paul held his jaw, looking at Marlon who stood there with his hands in fists at his sides. He breathed like an animal, he was out to draw blood.

Paul threw a punch at Marlon and the two boys began rumbling right in the middle of the crowd. Everyone got silent and began watching, some people even left. I watched as aristocrats stuck up their nose at us, young men bet who would win, and young girls going "Say... isn't that Brando?"

I watched as a man in a fedora wrote down things on a notepad, and went to one of the guests of the graduation asking if he could borrow his camera.

"You know what, Marlon?" Paul asked in an exasperated voice. "Of course you'd be the one to ruin Patricia's day like this!"

"You ruined me! You took my girl!" Marlon shouted. "It could've been any guy, Paul. But you? I thought we reconciled!"

"You didn't want her! You let her go and didn't even try to get her back." Paul spat back.

"I was busy." Marlon defended. Marlon's lip bled down his face.

"Busy with what? Busy with Shelley Winters? Or Vivien Leigh? Or how about her husband?" Paul asked with one of his eyes squinted. "You know what, have you called James lately?"

Marlon threw another punch at Paul, and Paul received it like a champ.

"You know, you can sock me all the times you want. That's not going to change the fact your unable to love anyone but yourself." Paul mumbled.

"Patricia was mine." Marlon mumbled, his bruised knuckles showing as his hand was still in a fist.

"Patricia is her own person. And Patricia removed you from her life with no intention of letting you back in." Paul shook his head. "And you know what? I don't blame her."

"What about brotherhood! You take my girl and put a damn ring on her finger? What does that say about you?!" Marlon shouted at Paul.

Paul chuckled. "The only thing it says is that I'm enough of a man to tell a woman I love her." Paul said nonchalantly.

Marlon tried to lung at Paul again, but this time the crowd began to intervene. People held him back as Marlon tried to come for Paul.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take my fiancé, I'm going to congratulate her verbally, and then I'm going to please her physically. And guess what? I don't need your permission!" Paul shrugged. He took my hand and we began walking away from that crowd.

I looked back at Marlon who stood there, defeated. A camera bulb flashed in his face.

I turned to look forward, and in front of me was Paul guiding me. I squeezed his hand tightly as we walked away together.