❀ Chapter 2

I WOKE up unaware of my new surroundings, like the comfort of the bed swiped my brain of last night's events. It was no secret that my estranged family was one of wealth. I made it my goal to somehow grow accustomed to having a lady maid assist me with things I was used to doing myself.

Back at home, Papa and I never needed one since it was just the two of us. Kitty helped me into a white, long sleeved dress, dotted with small black polka dots. It was such a foreign feeling wearing a dress that I wasn't used to wearing practically everyday.

I watched intently from the mirror of the vanity as she did my hair.

She handled my waves with such grace, moving her hands carefully. I tried my best to control my squirming hands as she finished up her work. She made sure to leave a few tendrils free, to frame my face.

"Thank you," I thanked her fervently. She returned a gracious smile.

I spotted Alaina in the doorway from the mirror, "Ready for breakfast?"

"Indeed," I stood up and followed her out of my room. I saw Astrid and Abigail walking down the opposite corridor. They both greeted me with their beaming smiles.

They led me to the dining room, and I made sure to make a mental note of where it was. The Earl and Countess of Stratford were already seated at the long, white clothed table. There was an array of foods on the table, from eggs to an assortment of breads and rolls. Our plates and cutlery were already set.

"Good morning girls," Lord Stratford smiled pleasantly. We all returned his greeting in unison.

"How did you sleep, my dear?" He asked as I settled into one of the deeply cushioned chairs. I practically sank in the thing!

"Very well, thank you my lord."

"Uncle George," He squeezed my hand endearingly. I smiled with a simple nod.

Everyone began making their plate of food, scooping the eggs out of the bowl, spreading strawberry perseveres on their bread, pouring tea.

"Don't be afraid. Help yourself," Uncle George chuckled, noticing my overwhelmed countenance. I felt my cheeks grow hot as I gave a shy smile. Then I slowly extended my arm and scooped some eggs onto my plate.

"What was it like where you used to live, Della?" Abigail asked.

"Very small," I laughed lightly as I placed a roll onto my plate.

"For certain," Lady Stratford mumbled. My brows furrowed for a split second at the remark.

"But no less, Papa and I were happy," I added.

"And you will lead an even happier life here, my child," She assured confidently. "And for goodness sakes Alaina, stop slouching."

Alaina rolled her eyes and fixed her posture reluctantly.

"How do you expect to secure a man in your future if you simply cannot sit correctly?" Lady Stratford frowned. Abigail snorted before forking eggs into her mouth.

"What if I do not wish to secure a man, Mamma? I am but sixteen!" Alaina exclaimed.

"Then you might as well wish for no future at all," Astrid chimed in with a shrug of her shoulder.

Lady Stratford sighed hopelessly, "Thank you Astrid."

I kept my eyes trained down at my plate, hoping not get dragged into the conversation. I lifted my head when I saw Mr. Simon saunter in with a silver platter atop of his gloved fingertips.