❀ Chapter 14

THERE was so many people, just as I dreaded from the beginning. I was left astounded at how many connections my family had. Kitty fixed my hair into a bun, leaving some of my hair left to fall down my back.

She even snipped a white rose to stick in the side of the bun, to match my dress. My mother's dress. I made the decision to wear it after I thought over Uncle George's encouraging words.

He admired how brave she was. Not to mention, this dress was the only tangible thing I had in her memory. So tonight - I represented her with pride. No matter how many pairs of eyes would befall me. No matter how many looks of resentment Lady Stratford threw my way, or how frigid her tone was.

She and Uncle George were conversing with a lovely older couple. I stood in the middle of them, eyeing the chattering crowd.

I felt confident in my skin tonight, but I couldn't help feeling unworthy for this grand event. And Lady Stratford certainly did not hold back with applying pressure for me to find a suitor.

Tonight would be eventful. My very bones tingled from it.

Amongst scanning the innumerable well dressed guests, my lips parted when I caught sight of a certain gentleman across the room. None other than the dashing, Lord Arlington.

He saw me right away and came to an abrupt halt. He took in my appearance, but I was unable to read his expression.

Even though I wanted to rip my gaze off of him, I couldn't find the strength to. It was as if all the conversations from the bustling crowd around us, suddenly went mute.

I hoped that my eyes would convey to him how sorrowful I am from the way I ended our friendship. But to no avail, he averted his gaze and was on his way. I had to assume he was in search for Astrid.

A whisper of a sigh escaped my lips and I decided to give my attention to the conversation still being had.

"It was a pleasure making your acquaintance Ms. Andrews," the older woman smiled gingerly.

"The pleasure is all mine," I extended my arm to shake the both of their hands. After they wandered off, Lady Stratford leaned toward my ear.

"Do not think your absence of attention went unnoticed," She whispered lowly.

"Forgive me, my lady," I bowed my head, "I allowed myself to be distracted. I am not accustomed to such a crowd all for my honor."

"Well get used to it, child."

Uncle George looked at her and broke into a ginger smile, and gave me a wink before walking away. It was then that I remembered the very last time I saw my father, he had given me wink to calm my budding nerves.

I missed him a lot, and couldn't wait to write him.

"I hope I am not intruding?" A man with a crooked grin strolled over. His handsomeness certainly did not go unnoticed. His well styled hair was darker than a night's sky, with a pair of icy blue eyes.

"Oh Mr. Kingman!" Lady Stratford exclaimed with joy, "How delightful to see you after so long!"

"Likewise my lady. Age does not become of you at all," He beamed.

She waved her black gloved hand with a laugh I've never heard escape her mouth. I was a bit taken aback by her flirtatious behavior.

He focussed in on me, "But I have come to ask to steal your first dance, Ms. Andrews."

I opened my mouth to respond, however only Lady Stratford's enthused words were heard, "She would be honored! I shall commence the first dance."

She walked off, leaving the two of us. All I wished to do was find Alaina. Her amusing antics would put me at ease.