❀ Chapter 15

SLEEP did not come easy, when my mind was split from floating thoughts about the effortless charm of Mr. Kingman, to the icy glares I received from Lord Arlington. I tried my best to distract my mind from it.

But every time I let my lids close, the flared anger in his eyes would shake me awake. It was a nightmare I didn't want to go on. How had I weaved myself into such a situation?

A heavy sigh pushed past my lips. I really missed living back in Wiltshire, it was a simpler time that seemed like ages ago. And impossible to reattain.

However I had to admit, Mr. Kingman lightened my heavy, bottled, emotions this evening. He even offered to escort me to dinner. Conversation came easy, and his compliments stained my cheeks a rosy red.

I enjoyed his company very much. He was the ray of sunshine I needed to part my gloomy, grey clouds. Lady Stratford even gave me a solemn nod from across the room, signaling her approval.

I lay on my back with my hands folded atop of my stomach, waiting sleep to befall me. But there was an incessant tapping at my widow. I sat up and focused on the little noise, it sounded like small pebbles.

I flipped my heavy blanket off of me and walked to the window. But soon as my feet hit the cool wood, the noise had ceased. I froze in my spot with furrowed brows. Had my sleep deprivation caused me to hear things?

Then it started again. Tap . . . tap . . . tap.

When I peeked behind the curtain, my jaw fell ajar.

"Good heavens," My heart leaped out of my chest. It was Lord Arlington! A look of relief washed over his face when our eyes met.

I drew the curtain back and slapped a hand on my chest. Part of me questioned whether this was real, but I knew it wasn't a dream when I saw the expression on his face. Every time I closed my eyes I was haunted by the way he looked at me this evening.

But this was different.

I hastily slipped on my slippers, and grabbed my wrapper. I tried my best to make my way down the stairs in silence. After I let the front door close quietly, I practically ran behind the estate, feeling the cool breeze blow up my legs.

I slowed my steps and attempted to control my breathing before I rounded the corner. There Lord Arlington stood, still fully clothed from the ball. Had he slept a wink?

We stood at a distance, with silence cradling the moment. The sky gradually brightened, waking from it's darkened state.

"What brings you here, Lord Arlington?"

"How could you have dealings with such an insufferable man?" Irritation inflamed his tone.

"I beg your pardon?" I frowned, in genuine confusion, "You are not speaking of Mr. - "

"Kingman," He said snippily.

I stared at him with incredulity, and felt anger begin to boil my blood, "He was nothing but kind to me for the evening's entirety - unlike you Lord Arlington. And for your knowledge, he told me you are good companions."

"I can assure you that we are not," He laughed bitterly, "I've known him for quite a while, and all he does is put on a facade. The man is a dandy!"

My face twisted into a frown, "What you are talking about I know not! Did you really come here in the middle of the world's slumber to tell me this?"

He shook his head and turned his back on me furiously. He had no right to question my company after the manner in which he treated me. I no longer desired to swallow my feelings down.

Another moment of silence loomed over us. He turned back around and ran a hand over his face. I watched him look to the grass, with his hands stuffed in pockets and pursed lips. He shook his head once more and focused his gaze on the sky. It was then I was able to see the conflicted expression worn on his face.

It looked as if he was fighting a silent battle, with himself.

"Della," He said lowly, focussing his gaze on me.

The way my name fell off his lips made my heart soar. I gave my earnest effort to conceal any sort emotion though.

"I am so sorry I treated you with such contempt," I saw the sincerity in his face, "I was unbelievably hurt when you ended our friendship so suddenly. I couldn't understand why, and it drove me mad."

He was gradually closing the large gap between us with each step that he took. And this time, I didn't move backward.

"I was unaware of how much of a hold you had on my emotions. I was not prepared for it at all. But when I really gave it thought, I realized why you did what you did, and why I took it so harshly.

It is quite comical what love will make you do," He chuckled. Those words knocked the very breath out of me.

"What?" I whispered, "A-are you saying that y-you, you . . ."

He stopped only inches away from me, and swept a loose tendril of hair behind my ear. He smiled with a radiance, "Of course I love you darling."

"I love you too," The words had already slipped out of my mouth before I realized what I just said. I breathed a laugh as he gently took my face in his hands. He pushed his lips against mine in a slow moving kiss.

"I love you, Christopher," I said against his soft lips. It was relieving to finally say it aloud, after trying so hard to deny it. He peppered kisses all over my face and wrapped in a tight embrace.

Another breathy laugh escaped my lips as I pulled him closer to my body. I have always thought about this moment as being apart of an unattainable dream. But this was real. He was real.

"My cousin," I gasped. I pulled away and looked to him with worry. Just as Iet myself finally breathe the truth, reality came to fiercely snatch the sweet moment away.

Christopher ran his hands down both my arms, causing my wrapper to fall to the crook of my arms.

He grabbed both my hands, and pressed them against his lips in a soft kiss, "I will find a tactful to tell her. It is not fair for me to propose to her, when you have my heart. You have had it for quite a while."

"And it took equally as long for the both of us to realize," I giggled.

"Indeed," He nodded, "When you told me to pursue Astrid that night, I was sure you did not want me. So I obeyed your advice and tried to ignore my growing feelings for you."

"As did I," I admitted, "Astrid has always made it clear that you were hers. So I spun myself into a deep web of denial, because I knew I could never have you."

"But you do," He whispered.

My lips quirked into a smile as I gently ran my knuckles over his face. But my smile subsided, "Christopher I'm scared. Astrid will never speak to me again. They will cast me on the street! And I do not wish to be the reason your family -"

"My family must understand that my happiness is far more valuable than marrying a woman of equal wealth," He assured with certainty. The confidence held in his eyes, made tears blur my vision. I really did love this man.

"It is true things will not be easy. But in time, this will be a thing of the past. Our past," He planted a kiss on my forehead.

__________________________

A/N - took me a while to write this chap bc I wanted it to be PERFECT. really wanted to get the feels goin loll

I hope you enjoyed it!

But the story aint over y'all 👀👀👀

Votes/Comments are much appreciated!

- kya v.h