❀ Chapter 23

WHEN I stepped back into the estate, I hurriedly handed Mr. Simon my gloves and bonnet. I made sure to hush a thank you as I did so. There was no way I could suffer any longer with Mr. Kingman. His false charm had expired.

As I made a scurry for the staircase, Mr. Simon pulled out a letter from his pocket, "This is for you Ms. Andrews."

"Thank you," My hands scrambled to open it. A breathy laugh escaped me as I instantly recognized the handwriting. A wide smile bloomed on my face as I scanned the writing in great haste.

A wave of relief had washed over me.

"What on earth are you doing back? Where is Mr. Kingman?" Lady Stratford inquired angrily. I quickly jerked my head up to meet her blazed stare. Astrid appeared in the large doorway of the Drawing Room. They waited for my explanation.

It seemed as if Simon had evaporatetd into the air, because he was no longer standing in front of the banister.

I flung my arm down at my side, with the letter still held in hand, "How dare you?"

"I beg your pardon, child?" Lady Stratford frowned.

I took a step forward, "How dare you forge my hand in that letter to Mr. Kingman!"

"Something had to be done, little cousin," Astrid sighed exasperatedly. As if their doing was the one and only solution.

"And she is right," Lady Stratford agreed, "He is very handsome and plump in the pocket. And any gentlemen as to steal two dances with you - must be secured."

I shook my head vigorously, as I clenched the letter in my hand, "Absolutely not!"

In a whirl, the door was burst open and in came Abigail with Mr. Kingman in tow.

"Della whatever is taking so long? You musn't keep Mr. Kingman waiting," Abigail quipped aggravatingly.

"Is everything well, my love?" Mr. Kingman looked to me curiously.

"May I speak with you in solitude please?"

"Of course."

It was time to put an end to their childish scheme. He followed me into the dining room, and I rolled the grand wooden doors shut.

"I must be honest with you," I spun around to face him, "I did not write you."

"Whatever do you mean?" He chuckled in disbelief.

"I mean either Lady Stratford or one of my cousins wrote it, in hopes of sounding as if it were I," I explained. He looked at me with a puzzled countenance.

"And I think I shall spare your time," I went on, "I - I do not have affections for you."

"I beg your pardon?" He scoffed.

I bit my lip and toyed with my hands. Dead air hung between us, and I watched Mr. Kingman's state of shock grow.

He shook his head, "With all due respect Miss Andrews, I do not think you are in the place to reject me."

I furrowed my brows and titled my head, "What?"

"You could live a very comfortable life with me, had you let me make my offer," He ambled closer to me.

I sighed sharply, "And I will tell you once more - I do not have affections for you, nor want your offer. You are not in a place to tell me otherwise."

He shook his head and exhaled frustratingly. I slide open one side of the wooden doors, "You may leave now."

I knew the girls had heard every word, and I was ready to make my defense for it. With long strides, Mr. Kingman stalked out of the estate. His eyes remained on the ground when he swung open the door and slammed it shut.

Perhaps it would do him good to be rejected.

"You small minded girl," Astrid looked to me with a pitied expression. Abigail was left gaping for whole scene.

"Oh for goodness sake Abigail, close your mouth!" Lady Stratford reprimanded. Then she turned her chilling attention to me, "What have you done? He would have made you an offer had you not acted so foolishly!"

"I would only dream of a man like Mr. Kingman to make me an offer," Abigail crossed her arms.

For a minute, I felt the air itself thinning.

"You cannot expect to mourn over your loss of Christopher forever," Astrid added.

But I took a deep breath, and straightened my posture. The adrenaline that coursed through my veins supplied me with the courage I needed, "Since I have come here. You all have made it seem as if it were in my best interest to please you. And I was greatly elated that . . . I found my family. A part of mother that still lived.

But if appeasing you means I must change myself, the way I wish to live my life,  treat other people and even the person I love - I do not want any part of it!"

From the corner of my eye, I could see Alaina inching closer to the scene.

I looked down to the letter that I still had in my hand, "This is a letter from my father. He has agreed to fetch me, to return to Witley  in two days time."

The tension was stiff, as silence loomed over us.

"Because I would rather live in a small cottage full of love, over a grand estate with almost none," I concluded. Not a word had left either of them. Lady Stratford's chest heaved, as she watched me walk to the stairs.

I looked to Alaina and she gave me a soft nod, with a proud smile. My lips quirked up into a smile as I made my way up the stairs. A countless amount of times, I have walked up these stairs with a heavy weight on my shoulders.

But today, I had finally let it loose. I almost wanted to shed tears of the relief it brought me. This was my walk.

___________________________