❀ Chapter 20

QUIET sobs racked my body as I was perched on the concrete stairs, outside of the townhouse. I felt as if the walls in there wished to close in and suffocate me. The heart wrenching moment when Christopher moved his hand from my hold, flashed before my mind. The way he looked at me, so confused. So lost.

My head was buried in my hands, when I felt a comforting rub on my back. I rose my head and saw Madam Juliet take a seat next to me.

"Oh dear," She continued to rub my back with a sympathetic countenance.

I sniffled a swiped my tear stained cheeks.

"I know it hurts," She dropped her voice into a whisper, "But it will take time for him to regain his memories. It requires much patience."

All I could do was give a simple nod. My heart ached too much to verbally agree with her. I simply did not wish to. Patience was the very last thing I wanted to achieve. I wanted Christopher to remember me, and our unfinished love story now.

I stared blankly at the concrete. I felt her pair of eyes on me, as to she was waiting for some type of response. But I couldn't motivate myself to speak.

"When Christopher first told us about his affections for you, it was no surprise to me. Matter of a fact I would like to think I had knowledge before Christopher himself," Madam Juliet giggled fondly, "I will admit I had my reservations. As did the Duke. However, Christopher has always been a man of his own. Even from boyhood. Not only that, but I have never seen my son so sure. So confident over any matter."

I swiveled my head with contorted brows, "A-are you sure Madam?"

She smiled and laid her hand atop of mine, "Of course. He must be reminded, dear. The doctors did tell us that speaking of past events could invoke a memory. Even the simplest little thing."

Had I given too much haste into giving up?

"Come," She stood up and straightened her skirts, "Let us go inside."

I contemplated over her advice for a few moments. I wanted to bask in the light of her beautiful words. She gave me the approval to be with her only son. A girl of a single parent with no means of wealth, or even a future. I almost wanted to shed tears at the thought of it. I wanted to grapple onto the line of hope she extended to me.

I feared that false hope could be the very end of me, though. But I love Christopher, and if it is in my power to help guide his memory . . .

"I shall do it," I stood up and took a deep breath. Madam Juliet gave me a wide smile of approval and we both went back inside. As we climbed the set of grand stairs, I heard a plethora a laughs.

Lady Stratford and Uncle George were no longer standing outside of his chambers. When Madam Juliet and I entered the room, they were all gathered around his bed, erupting in laughter. Even Christopher wore a genuine smile. The smile that I longed to see again, the smile that could clear a gloomy sky.

"Yes I shall never forget when Abigail took that fall!" He chuckled.

"Even then she was in bad form," Astrid huffed.

Her Grace cleared her throat disruptively, "May I ask that you excuse yourselves please?"

Six pairs of eyes focused in on the both of us, and I almost regretted disrupting their moment. Astrid giggled, "With all due respect Madam. I deem it not a good idea to force him to remember something that is no longer there."

A period of silence befell us as Astrid's statement was left dangling in the thick air. I bowed my head and closed my eyes, both fists clenched at my sides. Then I lifted my head, straightened my posture and opened my mouth to speak.

"You may dismiss yourself Astrid," Madam Juliet intervened before I could even push the words out of my mouth. Her Grace shifted her gaze between the five of them, her arms placed behind her.

"Let us go," Uncle George placed a hand on the small of Lady Stratford's back. They led the way out of the chambers, and Astrid followed in tow with reluctance. She wore a smug countenance as she passed me. But Alaina reached over and gave my hand a tight squeeze.

She would always be on my side.

After they cleared the chambers, Madam Juliet took a step back motioned me toward Christopher. I gave her a smile ambled toward him, toying with my hands nervously.

"Della is it?"

"Yes. Della Andrews," I nodded enthusiastically, "We met at Moonriver Manor. I - I was wearing a pale yellow dress, and you were wearing a green waistcoat. I shall never forget the way it brought out the green in your quite mysterious eyes."

I smiled to myself at the memory. My heart was beating so loud I was certain everyone in the room could have heard it that day. His very presence had that effect on me, it always did.

His furrowed brows told me that his mind was at work. He was trying. After a few anguishing minutes of silence went by, he returned his gaze to mine with a realization.

"We met after I had returned from my studies abroad, you are the lost family member. The cousin!"

Tears of joy immediately pricked at my eyes, and a breath of relief escaped me, "Yes."

"I do remember making your acquaintance," He nodded with a smile.

"Yes," I breathed, "We met after you returned from abroad, and - and we fell in love," The adrenaline that rushed through my veins had me in need to chase after my breath.

However, puzzlement struck his face, " . . . In love you say?"

"Deeply," I whispered, "You lended me your favorite book that I absolutely adored. And almost every night we would meet behind Moonriver before dawn."

His mouth was slightly ajar as he continued to look at me, puzzled.

"Please remember Christopher. You have to. Please," My voice weakened and so was my strength to carry on with this seemingly hopeless feat.

"I - I remember making your acquaintance but," He shook his head, "Please forgive me, I have no recollection of . . . having any affections for you."

I pursed my lips and nodded, averting my gaze to the floorboards. I laid my hand across my heaving chest.

He cleared his throat, "Could you please leave my mother and I in solitude?"

"Very well, my lord."

I began to make my way for the door, feeling his mothers eyes on me as I did so. I knew her heart broke for me, but I could not bring myself to meet her gaze. When I opened the door I was greeted by the rest of the family, their faces made it quite apparent that they had heard every bit.

I swallowed uncomfortably under their stares, "I will be waiting in the carriage."

I was so confused, as if I was in some type of trance. I didn't have sufficient energy to weep loudly, or to scream like I thought I wanted. The line of hope I gripped onto had been cut, leaving me in a free-fall.

There was nothing else I could at this point in time. It was hopeless.

______________________________

A/N - soooo chris remembers meeting her but not falling in love 😭😭😭

there's more drama to come so keep reading until the end!

Votes/Comments are much appreciated x

~ KVH