❀ Chapter 10

THOUGHTS from early this morning whirled around in my mind. I never expected to find Christopher there. I desperately needed to rid my mind of him and he just had to adopt the same idea of watching the sunrise.

Heavy drowsiness has been looming over me for the whole duration of the day. However, I was happy to have a small part in helping Astrid's endeavors. Maybe to see him actively take my advice would help, and I was anxious for the results.

"Della?" The sound of Abigail's voice shook me out of thought, "You have been staring at the floor for God knows how long!"

"Oh," I giggled, bringing my mind back to the current, "I am just quite overwhelmed."

Lady Stratford seized today as an opportunity to make a trip to the Mantua Maker to get our dress fabrics and designs picked out.

Everywhere I turned, there was an assortment of fabrics varying in color. Large spools were even hung behind the long wooden counter. The girls roamed around the small shop, poking around each fabric. This was nothing new for them, but I didn't even know where to start!

"This goes with your skintone perfectly, Della!" Alaina drew my attention to a lovely, mauve colored fabric.

"I absolutely adore that one," Astrid walked over with widened eyes and took it from Alaina. She ran her hand over it, as if it were a lost treasure, "I want it."

"No it would look better on Della," Alaina argued, "She is the guest of honor."

"And that signifies I must look like bloody scum?!" Astrid bit.

"Composure please, Astrid," Lady Stratford corrected firmly. She continued to meander around the shop, eyeing each fabric.

"You may wear whatever you like, Astrid. I think it would look quite lovely on you."

"Oh thank you little cousin. You have quite a good eye," She winked and took the fabric to the wooden counter where a short, busty woman stood.

Alaina walked toward me, "You are too kind for your own good."

"And you are much too impatient."

"An honest truth," She nodded and broke into a smile.

"What is the duration of this dress making process?" I wondered aloud. 

"Well Miss Aarons has known us for quite a while, so she knows of our measurements. When we find a fabric that we adore, she never fails to design a beautiful gown in no time."

I nodded, looking at the way Astrid spoke to the woman. Her hands flailed in the air, and I could see her expressive countenance.

"Oh Mamma look at this one!" Abigail wrapped a dimmed, lime green fabric around her shoulders.

"Good lord child put that down," Lady Stratford frowned with a disgust plastered on her face. Abigail sighed with great defeat.

"Della come hither at once," She commanded. I did so, and she held a deep magenta fabric near my face. I was fond of it at first sight. She switched her concentrated gaze from the fabric, to my face every few seconds.

It was then that I felt insecure about the single spot on my right cheek.

Her lips blossomed into a rare smile, "This will do."

Later, when we arrived backed at the estate, the girls and I were gathered in the drawing room. Alaina busied herself with a book while Lady Stratford and the girls embroidered. My fingers couldn't take anymore pricking, and I certainly did not wish for any jokes of ridicule at my terrible handwork.