❀ Chapter 11

CHRISTOPHER and I's little sunrise meetings were happening more frequently. Sometimes he would leave me little notes, other times I would find him out of coincidence. Listening to nature slowly awake from it's slumber in his presence, was beginning to be my favorite part of the day.

Our friendship was blossoming beautifully.

However, it was becoming increasingly difficult to watch him court my cousin. I often received the same sick feeling in the pit of my stomach every time Astrid would drawl on about him.

Perhaps I felt this way because I wished for someone to court me with the same persistence. I constantly thought about it, and it never ceased to perplex me. Not only that, but the preparations for my ball were becoming heavier with each passing day.

Lady Stratford just finalized the menu for the feast. She was also becoming even more unbearable with each passing day. But I couldn't imagine the immense stress she has brought upon herself with this event.

She wanted to introduce me to society in a way that would not just benefit me, but the whole family.

"Della are you well?" Kitty's frail voice pulled me from my thoughts. I hadn't realized I was wearing a frown on my face.

"Oh yes yes," I assured.

"Are you sure?" She titled her head and made the finishing touches to my bun. I needed to vent my troubles. I feared if I held it in any longer, it would begin to rip me apart mercilessly from the inside out.

"There is a great deal on my mind actually," I stood from my vanity.

"Do tell," She furrowed her brows curiously.

"Well you know that the ball is fast approaching," I began, "With every mention of it, it makes it more real. I know not if I could handle so much attention on me."

"I understand your sentiments," She nodded, "But I believe in your ability of strength very much."

I hummed a laughed and toyed with hands.

"But that is not the only matter," My voice shook. Was I sure that I wanted to tell another soul about this?

"Oh," She sensed my uneasiness and clasped both of my hands into hers, "What is it?"

I took an elongated breath and spoke, "Almost every morning - before dawn, I have been meeting with Christopher."

She dropped my hands with widened eyes. Her shock scared me so much, I wanted to take it back.

"But I swear I did not mean for it to happen," I shook my head with vigor, "I found him behind the estate and he wished for me to stay. And - and," My chest heaved and it became difficult to push words out of my mouth.

She placed a hand over her mouth and whispered, "Are you in love?"

"Oh no no!" I yell-whispered,  "We are simply companions that lack the ability to sleep."

I have not even allowed myself to even think of such a thing. Christopher was Astrid's suitor, and she has made that known since the day I arrived at Moonriver. I would not dare to get in the way of that.

Kitty blinked several times and began to pace the room. I felt like I was going to faint, the room was spinning. My whole world was spinning. Perhaps it was the wrong idea to tell her. What would such a small girl do with such a heavy weighing secret?

Sink.

"You said that he wished for you to stay," She finally said, "He would not have said that if he wished to be with you."

"W-what?"

"And you do this every day?" She inquired.

"Almost," I corrected hastily.

She smiled and breathed a laugh, "Della. Lord Arlington is surely in love with you."

I shook my head immediately, "Kitty that is absolute nonsense. He loves Astrid, I am sure there will be an engagement very soon."

"Only because Astrid and the ladyship are much too overbearing to have it otherwise!" She argued.

"Please hush your voice," I stuck my palm to my forehead.

She took both of my hands again with a smile, "I am but a young lady maid yes. But I know that you are fond of him. So fond of him that you've buried it so deep, impossible to reach."

"That is not the answer Kitty," I looked to the ground with a hard expression, "He is going to marry my cousin - and I will be happy for them. We are just companions, and you mustn't utter a word to anyone."

"As you wish," She answered softly.

"I am late for breakfast," I straightened my back and attempted to regain myself. Kitty gave me one last smile, and I left the room. I knew Lady Stratford would have scolding words ready to hit me when I walked in.

"Well look who has decided to join us," She quipped in disgust.

"I apologize my lady," I bowed my head as I settled into my chair, "I was feeling a bit unwell this morning."

"Ah," Astrid titled her head with her teacup in hand, "That explains your paleness."

"But I trust that you are well now my dear?" Uncle George asked.

"Yes Uncle, "I made my plate with the remainder of that was left on the table. I wished terribly that I could talk to my father - about everything. He would give me the most simple, but useful piece of advice. Just as he has all of my life.

But I still have not heard anything from him yet. Hadn't he received my letter?

_____________________

A/N - still doesn't wanna admit it 💀

Another love letter is next! 😉

Votes/Comments are much appreciated!

~ kya v.h