❀ Chapter 13

THE Arlington's left this morning, after breakfast. Christopher barely looked at me when he bid me goodbye. Lord Arlington I should say. I believe I relinquished my privilege of calling him by his first name, when I burned our friendship to ashes.

He was stone cold about it, and there was nothing I could do or say to change that. Even though it stung, it was for the best. I must learn to be happy for him and Astrid. But his absence definitely soothed my mind.

I no longer had to avoid his handsome face, or worry about him laughing at something minuscule I did. However, when I thought about it - I missed it. I missed catching his amused grin, I missed seeing the change of color in his magnetizing orbs.

It was a mental battle that warred constantly.

I sat at my writing desk, peering at the pouring rain. I wished to feel the cooling droplets on my my skin like I used to at home. But I already knew what consequence that would bring.

A light knock came to my door, "Little cousin?"

I turned my head, "Come in Astrid."

"Staring at the rain again?" She giggled and plopped herself onto my bed.

"Absolutely," I nodded. She patted a seat next to her, so I got up and sat beside her.

"I just wanted to thank you," She leaned into hug me. I returned her tight embrace with furrowed brows.

"For what?"

"You talked to Christopher," She pulled away with a radiant smile.

"H-how do you know that?"

"I knew from the moment he began acting differently. You encouraged him, and I am forever grateful for your action," She clasped my hand with an endeared countenance.

"It is no matter," My voice shook involuntarily.

"Even though I am left wondering why he has not proposed to me yet, I know it will happen soon," She nodded. I had to admit I wondered the same thing.

Why did he leave without proposing to her?

"Because you helped me secure him over his stay," She smiled. Her words stung my heart. But I had to remind myself that this was supposed to happen all along. This was Astrid's plan.

"You are very welcome," I nodded.

She stood up, "Well you may return to staring at the rain. One day someone will love the way you strangely do that."

I gave a light laugh, and she left my chambers.

• ~ •

Later in the day, I ventured to the third story. I had realized my whole stay here, I hadn't gone to see it. I knew the fencing room resided there, as well as a few guest bedchambers - where the Arlingtons once stayed.

I stood in the middle of the corridor, with my eyes fixed on a certain painting. A large window that seeped sunlight, made the portrait glisten. It was my mother and Lady Stratford.

She was sat in a chair with a solemn stare, while my mother stood with a hand placed on her shoulder. A bright smile worn on her face. It screamed a thousand words. The two shared the same blood but were so incredibly different. I slowly ran a light finger over the ridged frame.

Oh how I wished she was still alive.

To guide me in my troubles of the heart, to tell me everything would turn out just fine. No doubt, Papa would lend his soothing words. But there was nothing like motherly advice, and I would never have that.