❀ Chapter 18

IT WAS right before the sun would rise to it's shining glory. Christopher and I sat in the tall grass in front of the little riverbed. My heart leaped with joy when I heard the patter of small stones against my window pane. I surely needed his presence during this tumultuous time.

Lady Stratford's words from yesterday continued to torture my mind. The more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself of it's validity.

I felt Christopher's eyes on me as I peered into the dreamy painted sky, "Darling are you well?"

I took a deep breath and brung my gaze to meet his, "I . . . I did not know it would be this hard."

He placed his hand atop of mine, "Tell me what happened."

"Astrid was so distraught, and I have never seen Lady Stratford so uneasy about anything," When the scene flashed through my mind, I clamped my eyes shut. I felt him squeeze my hand and I reciprocated. The warmth from his tight hold was a comfort.

"She kept crying. So loudly it was heartbreaking," I continued, "And then she started to explain what you had told her."

"If only she had let me finish speaking," He sighed, "She did not wish to hear any explanation."

It was no wonder none of them listened to anything I said.

"What else?" Christopher inquired further. I pursed my lips, debating on whether to tell him about the conversation Lady Stratford and I had earlier.

"Please tell me," He whispered. I knew it would be an impossible feat to pretend as if nothing weighed on my mind.

"Today Lady Stratford came to speak with me," I began, "And um . . . She told me that it is best if I let you go. That if I have deep love for you, I will let you move on in life. Because I will never be enough for you."

It was as if I was speaking the words to myself, more than Christopher.

"I beg your pardon?" He took his hand off of mine with a hard stare, "She really uttered those words to you? That you will never be enough for me?"

I nodded, and Christopher scoffed with a vigorous shake of his head. He stood up and began to pace back and forth with large steps. I sat in my spot, watching his anger flare by the second.

"Christopher?"

"Insufferable woman!" He seethed, running a hand over his face, "Speaking of me as if she herself knows what is best for me!"

"Christopher please," I stood up, "You are being too loud."

He finally stopped his pacing, and walked toward me slowly. He wrapped his arms around me, tucking his head in the nook of my neck. I stroked the back of his head, feeling his thick brown hair between my fingers. We stood there for a few moments, the slow rising sun warming our bodies.

"I am so sorry for all this," He pulled away from our embrace and cradled my face as if it were a precious piece of china, "I must say that I admire how calm you are."

"I believe I have no more tears left in my body," I giggled. He smiled and placed a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"But I cannot help feel that Lady Stratford might be right," I voiced my fears aloud, "I know that you love me now, but what if you realize you made a mistake in the future?"

The sun's ginger light, made the green in Christopher's eyes glimmer. He bored them into mine, heavily focused on the words that left my mouth.

"I question if I am worth any of this commotion amongst our families," I continued, "Even today - you walked all the way from Town just to have a fracture of a moment with me."

"And it would be of no importance if stones were hailing from the sky," He said lowly, "Della. Please do not let a woman like Lady Stratford deceive you with such futile words. You are worth everything - you are everything."

I smiled widely as a stray tear travelled down my cheek. Christopher swiftly swiped it away with the pad of his thumb.

"I am my own man, and will let absolutely nobody sway my deep sentiments for you," The conviction he spoke with strengthened me, "I explained everything to my parents, and they respect my choice. The truth is . . . I am grateful for the life they have acquired for me to have - but I will not let that factor alone dictate my future."

I let out a breathy laugh, and more tears sprung from my eyes. Was this a dream? I was at a loss for words!

He did more than just diminish my fears, he gave me the strength I needed to brave the storm. I would no longer let Astrid, or Lady Stratford weave their twisted thoughts into my head.

"This was not the only reason I wanted to see you though," He took both of my hands into his, "I am going out of Town tomorrow for a race."

"Will you take Midnight with you?"

"No I am afraid not. Plus, I know she will miss you conversing with her quite terribly," He winked. I swatted at his arm as he chuckled.

"You will never forget that," I shook my head, looking down to the grass. Embarrassment probably colored my cheeks cherry red.

"Of course I won't darling," He placed a finger under my chin, and rose my face to meet his gaze.

"Well I wish you the best - and be safe," I smiled.

He pecked my lips gingerly, "I promise."

___________________________

A/N - hope you guys enjoyed this one! I know it's been a really long time but I finally finished everything so go read and see how the rest of Christopher & Della's story unfolds!

😉

Votes/Comments are much appreciated!

~ kya v.h